High temp yeast help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyHaus

Reaction score
So I'm in a bit of a situation. I need ideas as to what yeast i can use to ferment at higher than normal temps. I have a freezer with temp controller but it's being used to lager at the moment. I'm in Florida where the ambient temp in my garage can drop to the late 50's late at night but pretty much stays in the 70-75 range during the day. I don't care what style, just want to brew something that will ferment well at high temps. I figure with ambient temp at 75 the beer will get as high as early to mid 80's depending on the day. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks

yeah, belgian strains are good at high temps. you could do a heffe if you can keep the temps in the low to mid 70's. can you not ferment in the house to help keep temps from fluctuating so much? it's the drastic temp swings you need to worry about here.

Belgian strains can handle higher temps. Just pitch in the low 60's and slowly let them ramp up.

Saison yeasts are another good option. 3711 is awesome.

You might want to think about a swamp cooler to keep the temp swings in check

can you not ferment in the house to help keep temps from fluctuating so much? it's the drastic temp swings you need to worry about here.

I can't ferment in the house. I moved all the junk that was cluttering my garage into the spare closet where i could keep the fermenter. I would keep it covered somewhere else around the house but that would create political issues with the Mrs. I'm also not in the place to get additional equipment either. would something like a blanket wrapped around the fermenter provide enough insulation to help with the temp swings?

So it looks like Belgian and Saison yeasts are the finalists. Which of the two would be the winner?

the blanket couldn't hurt. personally, i'd still worry about temp swings fermenting in the garage. maybe bargain with the wifey about keeping' 'em inside. :D
as far as between Belgian and Saison, i'd go with the latter. a good Saison is a really nice beer. :mug:

the blanket couldn't hurt. personally, i'd still worry about temp swings fermenting in the garage. maybe bargain with the wifey about keeping' 'em inside. :D
as far as between Belgian and Saison, i'd go with the latter. a good Saison is a really nice beer. :mug:

Good point, i guess i could work a deal with wifey. I'll go with the Saison and see how it goes, never brewed one before so should be fun.

I can't ferment in the house. I moved all the junk that was cluttering my garage into the spare closet where i could keep the fermenter. I would keep it covered somewhere else around the house but that would create political issues with the Mrs. I'm also not in the place to get additional equipment either. would something like a blanket wrapped around the fermenter provide enough insulation to help with the temp swings?

So it looks like Belgian and Saison yeasts are the finalists. Which of the two would be the winner?

A swamp cooler is nothing more than a big enough container to hold the fermenter and some water. Under 10$ at Home Depot or some place like that. Put your fermenter in there and fill it with water. I will keep the temp swings in check.

Back