High temp silicone hose hold odors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigskygreg

Reaction score
Recently started using a march pump and am using high temp silicone hosing and camlock QD's. I am using the pump to move mash to boil kettle, recirc wort with whirlpool arm while chilling, and moving cooled wort to carboy. I sanitize the hosing and pump by recirculating during last 15 minutes of boil.

My hoses really are holding a strong sweet wort odor. It doesn't smell bad, but makes me wonder if:
1. I should take apart QD's every time (pita)
2. Soak everything in oxyclean
3. Not worry about the smell. Since they are clean

My current practice is to clean with hot water before rinse with star san, the sanitize as above (last 15 min of boil)

I haven't used silicon hosing with boiling wort before, so I'm just wondering if it is completely normal to expect it to hold that wort odor.

Thanks and cheers!

I've been using the same hoses and camlocks for a couple of years now. They are stained on the inside, but they don't have any funky odor (or any odor at all). At the end of the brew day I clean everything in hot water and Oxyclean. The hoses soak in my kettle/washtub while I'm cleaning everything else. I guess that little soak each time might be the difference.

Hammy71 said:
I've been using the same hoses and camlocks for a couple of years now. They are stained on the inside, but they don't have any funky odor (or any odor at all). At the end of the brew day I clean everything in hot water and Oxyclean. The hoses soak in my kettle/washtub while I'm cleaning everything else. I guess that little soak each time might be the difference.
Do you ever remove camlocks?

I haven't, although I probably should. I also let them hang and drain. Are you letting them hang, leaving them on the rig, or rolling them up for storage?

Hammy71 said:
I haven't, although I probably should. I also let them hang and drain. Are you letting them hang, leaving them on the rig, or rolling them up for storage?

I just did a 3 hr oxyclean soak. They're hanging to dry. They still have a faint wort smell. I'm confident they're clean, so I'm gonna let it ride. The next step would be to remove all the camlocks as some wort may be trapped under the clamps. They didn't leak at all during my brew, so that's good. I guess I could try bleach, but I'm not a fan of bleach for brewing equipment.

Thanks for all your help.

I'm fairly new to brewing and have been trying out a few different AG set ups. Yesterday was my first time using my pump, so I'm learning. Speaking of pumps, do you guys see any problem to taking apart the pump head for cleaning after every brew? (Any problem wearing out pieces, seals etc?). I feel better by taking it apart, but don't want to shorten its life span.

Cheers

I have a March pump. I disassemble the head about every other brew. Even after running boiling water through it after I brew, it still can get pretty nasty. They come apart fairly easily and I don't really see any down side from doing so.

Latest posts

Back