high pressure regulators for secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpdb185

Reaction score
sorry if this has been covered already, but i want to make sure i get it right. i can get a regulator set-up that came from a coca cola machine. they say Cornelius on them and it has 1 high pressure tank guage and 2 regulator bodies with 0-160psi guages. it looks like this:

3-gauge-co2-regulator-beer-soda-n-r_260721086975.jpg

i did read that you can swap out 0-160psi guages to 0-30psi guages, but i wanted to make sure that these regulators would even work. i can't remember if they were connected to the tank as primaries or not, but do you think they would be fine if i swap them to 0-30psi guages and use them for secondary regulators?

thanks

They shouldn't have any problem registering the considerably lower pressures that we as homebrewers use. My understanding is they are able to release a greater volume of gas. Syrup is pretty damn thick so they need that extra pressure to move product. The one on the left is volume in the tank and the two on top are individual Co2 lines that can be adjusted to whatever pressure suits your fancy. The short answer: you're good with what you've got. If they work.

Just a heads up; If that regulator assembly is indeed a primary regulator - the high pressure ports will be left hand threaded. I'm really not sure what it is as the flare fitting on the right side sort of tells me it is indeed a secondary regulator. So: First thing you need to do is determine what you have. Check the threads to see if they are LH or RH threads on the gauge and the flare fitting. Depending on that, you can then determine what you want (can) do.

(Basic issues: You cannot secure a low pressure gauge with LH threads. With that regulator manifold you actually have 3 pressures available {2 from it & 1 from the primary} If it is LH threaded on the input ports, you will not be able to secure a control valve for the 3rd output)

Let us know. Please. There are always work arounds.

Edit: After thought: If it is indeed a high pressure manifold and has LH threaded high pressure ports, it was fed with a high pressure line from the tank. The Regulator Manifold would have been panel mounted. You will have a real struggle making it into a secondary regulator.

P-J, i think you lost me there somewhere (long day!). i forgot to mention that these are not the actual regs i've found. they are a photo i posted to show what they look like. i just can't remember if it was set up to mount to the tank or with a hose from the tank. but basically, if it's left handed threads it won't work? i couldn't just use hose barbs and gas line coming from the primary regulator to these? sorry if that's a stupid question, LOL.

You can't use them as secondaries. They require a minimum inlet pressure of 500 psi to work. Any less and they start acting weird.

P-J, i think you lost me there somewhere (long day!). i forgot to mention that these are not the actual regs i've found. they are a photo i posted to show what they look like. i just can't remember if it was set up to mount to the tank or with a hose from the tank. but basically, if it's left handed threads it won't work? i couldn't just use hose barbs and gas line coming from the primary regulator to these? sorry if that's a stupid question, LOL.
The problem boils down to securing fittings for left handed ports. IMHO, using it as a secondary (IF it is indeed a primary unit) would be doable but difficult and expensive. First you would have to replace the internal regulator components (a rebuild kit). Next you will need to secure LH x RH adapter nipples and then adapt that to the I/O fittings you want to use.

aaaahhhhhh, i understand now. so i got 1 final stupid question. how do you tell if they're primary or secondary regs? the left handed threads like you said earlier?

Yes. This LINK might help. It is a PDF document that shows both primary and secondary regulators in exploded view. All parts are labeled with descriptions.

This LINK is from The Beverage Equipment Company and it lists components that I've never found any place else. Like part number 55496-4 (1/4" MPT Right Hand x 1/4" MPT Left Hand Thread). This part can give you the change over from LH to RH.. After that you would just need a 1/4" coupling and a secondary rebuild kit to finish the conversion.

That is IF the regulator set is indeed a primary regulator.

Hope this helps.

Don't just look at the right or left hand fittings. I have 2 sets of Cornelius regulators, both sets are primaries. One set is left thread the other is right thread. There should be a sticker on the front that says primary or secondary regulator.

thanks, JRems. i'll be going back by there wednesday and i'll check and see. a sticker on the front would surely dumb it down for me, LOL.

also be sure that you can get the gauges off even if they are secondaries, mine were loc tite'd in and i didn't want to put a torch to them to loosen it, so my secondaries are stuck with 0-60 when i wanted to end up with 0-30

they were primary regulators :(. oh well, i think i'll just use the two of them anyway because i needed a second primary for running a soda keg. maybe i'll just sell my chudnow primary and put it towards some secondaries. thanks for the help!

PS: thanks JRems, there was actually a big red sticker on it that said "PRIMARY REGULATOR".

Back