High OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archthered

Reaction score
Yesterday I made what I'm calling an English Brown for my brothers visit in April. I used 3.15 lbs of Golden extract, 3.15 lbs of Maris Otter extract, and 2 lbs of honey, all from Northernbrewer, Both extracts are 36 ppg and I figured on 35 for the honey. This should give me an OG of 1.059 (((6.3X36) + (35X2))/5)

When I took my reading I got an OG of 1.068, that is nearly 10 points off! I am trying to understand how that could be. I did have some stuff, hop mess, in the tube but I waited for it to settle before reading it, additionally since I didn't believe it I let it sit overnight and re-took the measurement. Why is my measurement so off?

I know honey can vary a bit but I don't think it is possible for that to explain all of the error. Additionally I know I wasn't at the temp that my hydrometer is calibrated to (60) but I wasn't that far off (65ish) so I don't think that can explain it.

The only thing I can think left out of my calculation is my steeping grains, which I know can add gravity. I had 1.65 lbs of a mix of steeping grains but I feel like this is too far off for that to be the reason for the reading.

Keep in mind this is only my third attempt at creating my own recipe so maybe this is a normal amount to be off. That said my other two recipes were not this far off, though to be honest they did not have as much steeping grain.

At any rate I would appreciate any comments about why I'm this far off. Thanks

1.65*32/5=10.56 neglecting efficiency...
at 75% about 8 points.

That's a good part of the way towards the error. The rest from the gravity potential of the honey maybe? Accuracy of the volume measurement of a little off to the low side maybe?

ETA: Have you calibrated your hydrometer, I've had ones off by 5 points...

Thanks for clearing that up! I didn't realize I should use 32 points per pound for steeping grains, I thought that was just if you were doing a mash with them. Between that, honey variability, temp error etc that sounds about right.

I have not checked the calibration on my hydrometer but I keep meaning to, I have a habit of forgetting to get the distilled water.

32 was kind of a s.w.a.g. as I didn't know your grains.
See Here.
"Most" steeping grains like crystal/caramel malts have already undergone conversion during the malting/kilning OR roasting process. Even when they haven't most steeps are in the right temp range...

ETA: I would think checking the hydrometer with tap water would be close enough, the gravity isn't likely to be affected enough to influence a hydrometer of our resolution despite the "stuff" in it. I've moved on to a refractometer but also check the temp conversion chart that came with it, I remember having to correct 3-5 points for temp. in addition the overall 5 point error that my last hydrometer had.

Back