High OG wort without yeast starter, fermentation stuck.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaybear88

Reaction score
I brewed a 1 1/2 gal stock pot of wort. Transferred it into a 5 gal glass carboy with 3 1/2 gal clean water. Cooled in the snow down to 72F. OG=1.090 - I pitched the entire vial of WLP001 California Ale Yeast (liquid) - without making a starter - had not read directions prior to pitching or brewing. Attached blowoff. At about six hours after pitching I went and vigorously shook the carboy. Its now 36 hours after pitching and there is absolutely no activity - there is some suspended sediment. Question is whether I should give this more time to start fermentation- or whether its a lost cause- or if there is something I can do to restart this batch? This was my first attempt with a liquid yeast as I have only used dry yeasts in the past. I'm assuming at this point I will get some off flavors, but I just don't want to have to dump it down the drain. Thank you in advance!

Give your beer another 24 hours to start. Is the wort temperature in the low 60°F range. It will take some time for the yeast to begin multiplying.

With an enormous beer at 1.090 SG 1 vial is a massive underpitch. A beer this big that will take months to condition requires excellent yeast management and fermentation control. With big beers any errors in the yeast management and fermentation control will be magnified.

Are you sure your SG reading is correct? Are you making an imperial something or other or a barley wine? Perhaps you measured the gravity before thoroughly mixing the top up water.

With an enormous beer at 1.090 SG 1 vial is a massive underpitch. A beer this big that will take months to condition requires excellent yeast management and fermentation control. With big beers any errors in the yeast management and fermentation control will be magnified.

Are you sure your SG reading is correct? Are you making an imperial something or other or a barley wine? Perhaps you measured the gravity before thoroughly mixing the top up water.

Gavin, I would characterize it as an Imperial (not because I know, but I was using parts of a Papazian recipe - "Armenian Imperial Stout" - pg. 209 in the 3rd ed.). I have attached a photo.

Changes to the recipe = in addition to the extract syrups, I used 2lbs of a pure fruit syrup (canned) with the boil, and an extra 1/2 lb of a chocolate malt along with the black patent malt and roasted barley. I did not use the gypsum, and I used the WL001 California Ale Yeast instead of the suggested "American ale-type yeast" that the recipe calls for.

As for the SG reading... I strained the wort into the carboy with 3 1/2 gal clean water already in - and placed it in the snow for ~3 hours until the temp dropped to 72F. I then took my sample for the hydrometer (didn't shake, or stir, or do anything else to the carboy prior to my sample other than tipping it on its side so I could get some of what was in the fermenter into the testing beaker). Read at 1.090.

Proceeded to pitch just the one vile of liquid yeast.

p209stout.jpg

You may want to pitch another vial if you have it. At the very least, I would pitch a packet of similar dry yeast (US-05). It won't hurt anything, and it can only help. Although, I don't believe your gravity is actually 1.090 if that's the recipe you followed. I think your wort probably hadn't mixed well with the top-off water.

Assuming your gravity reading is correct. (Not so sure it is based on what you describe but it certainly could be given the additions you have made) a 2.5L starter would have been needed using a stir plate and fresh yeast.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Try this link for future brews. There are lots like this online. Very useful tools. Alternatively 4 liquid yeast vials/packs would be needed.

You may want to pitch another vial if you have it. At the very least, I would pitch a packet of similar dry yeast (US-05). It won't hurt anything, and it can only help. Although, I don't believe your gravity is actually 1.090 if that's the recipe you followed. I think your wort probably hadn't mixed well with the top-off water.

If the gravity was lower than the reading gave; would it be wise to first follow "flars" suggestion (2nd post) and give it
another 24 hours to start.
?

I do not have any yeast on hand but could certainly get to the store and buy some more. When I think about it, I don't believe I "topped off" the carboy, but that I had the other water already waiting in the carboy, and just strained the wort into it, then placed it in the snow to cool, and took my reading 3 hours later at 72F.

Assuming I need more yeast - which sounds like I may, would I be better off getting 1 or more vials of the WLP001 California Ale Yeast that I initially pitched, or the US-05, or both? Should I make a starter this time, or has the time for that come and gone?

Thank again, everyone.

Too late for a starter. Identical yeast would be best. Although you may be alright either way. Worst case scenario, your beer under-attenuates and finishes a bit sweet. You can watch it another day or so and see how you feel then.

Based on those parameters I would estimate that by this time the yeast has already grown to about 5 times, so adding another vial or four isn't going to help much, but won't hurt either. It's probably about 1/4 of the way through.

See this calculator that shows growth over time:
http://www.woodlandbrew.com/2015/02/starter-calculator.html

You'll need to enter your beer as the starter. (volume 19L, dme 4000g). My guess is than in 24 hours you'll see significant kraousen.

One more vial ain't gonna cut it for such a high grav batch.

If you can get your hands on a couple packets of US-05, sprinkle them in there. It's the same Chico strain as WLP001 and the dry packets have a whole lot more cells.

a couple packets of US-05

How many would you suggest? As to not overpitch (with the single vial of WLP001 already in the beer) - thanks for the info regarding the strains! Assuming nothing has changed come tomorrow morning, I will go grab some from the shop.

Sorry for the late reply, but the 2 packets gave the brew a swift kick, activity for over a week. Final product came out great (in my opinion) - thank you for all the help!

Sorry for the late reply, but the 2 packets gave the brew a swift kick, activity for over a week. Final product came out great (in my opinion) - thank you for all the help!

Thanks for letting us know that we were able to help a fellow brewer. :mug:

Back