High Mash temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
I brewed a jalapeno pepper beer today and I had a terrible time with my thermometers. I got a newer digital one and it doesn't match up with my current one. I had to re calibrate it a couple times during the mash and I think I ended up with a 158 mash for a cream ale base. I know I am probably in that ballpark range. Since this will be more of a Jalapeno beer with a cream ale base. What do you think the outcome of a 158 mash? I was aiming form 150-152. I guess it will end up being sweeter then normal. Do you think this will come out bad?

I'm wondering if 1/2# or so of sugar boiled and added to secondary might thin that body out....maybe someone else knows better or has experience.

Always calibrate your new stuff before use!

I would not do the sugar thing,
If the beer is already done in with jalapeño , I would just add more jalapeño (it's not that jalapeño isn't my taste or anything).
Serve it with pizza.

Always calibrate your new stuff before use!

I did but for some reason it didn't matter. I am very disappointed with my new thermometer.
This is the one I got..
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/km14-high-temp-pocket-digital-thermometer.html

It could read ice water great! Although, when I was trying to get it to read hot water, this thermometer was all over the place. It would say 150, then 90, then 50, -14, 70 and kept doing this and never settled. I could never capture a true reading. If I was lucky for it to settle and get a real reading it was different then other thermometers I have. Unfortunately, it hardly ever settled and continued giving incorrect readings. I am going to need to get a different thermometer that works before I can brew again.

Ah I see. I imagine I would have been pissed if it happened to me. I always use the non digital ones since I don't really trust digital and cant afford a thermapen. Although even non digitals can show temp lags and need to be flicked once in a while, especially after you bump it with the paddle.

I did but for some reason it didn't matter. I am very disappointed with my new thermometer.
This is the one I got..
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/km14-high-temp-pocket-digital-thermometer.html

It could read ice water great! Although, when I was trying to get it to read hot water, this thermometer was all over the place. It would say 150, then 90, then 50, -14, 70 and kept doing this and never settled. I could never capture a true reading. If I was lucky for it to settle and get a real reading it was different then other thermometers I have. Unfortunately, it hardly ever settled and continued giving incorrect readings. I am going to need to get a different thermometer that works before I can brew again.

Call Northern Brewer and explain what your thermometer is doing and I'll bet they replace it. Yours is defective. My digital will read to the half degree and will match the other thermometers I use.

Ah I see. I imagine I would have been pissed if it happened to me. I always use the non digital ones since I don't really trust digital and cant afford a thermapen. Although even non digitals can show temp lags and need to be flicked once in a while, especially after you bump it with the paddle.

I am thinking of getting a non digital one as well. What kind do you have?

Call Northern Brewer and explain what your thermometer is doing and I'll bet they replace it. Yours is defective. My digital will read to the half degree and will match the other thermometers I use.

I sent them a email about it yesterday. I agree that mine is definitely defective.

I would add some sugar as well. You'll get better attenuation and the added abv will help balance the maltiness.

I am thinking of getting a non digital one as well. What kind do you have?

http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/dial-thermometer/

This seems to be my brand, but I picked mine up a few years ago at my LHBS. Nothing fancy or amazing, but I have done well with my two. They seem to be pretty accurate. I would get both, just in-case. If you have a cooler tun its easy to mount the non digital on the side.

Back