High-ish gravity beer recipe that is ready in 7 weeks - GO!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davekippen

Reaction score
Is it possible to brew, condition and bottle a high-ish gravity beer (somewhere betwen 8 and 12%abv) that is ready to drink in 7 weeks? If anyone has a extract recipe that is drinkable let me know!!

i would suggest an IPA. the hops will cover any "green" flavors. most IPA's are intended to be drank young, to enjoy the freshest hop flavor and aroma.

No recipes. But its gonna be a challenge to think of something that young and that high of abv.. I'd go with what they said above. A dryish ipa. And dry hop the crap out of it lol

How large of a boil can you do? I've got a partial mash recipe for a Dogfish Head 90 min Imperial IPA clone. You would just have to steep 2lbs of malts at about 148 deg.F and then at about 168 deg.F for 10 minutes, you can split them into 2 muslin bags if you wanted then remove after steeping, then carry out the rest of the recipe the way you would an extract. Should spend about 2 weeks in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, then time to carbonate so it should be ready in less than 7 weeks. I do about a 6.25ga. boil to allow for some boil off and get a volume of about 5.5ga in the primary. You'll have to adjust the recipe to your boil size, a smaller boil will take more hops to get up to the 90 IBUs.

Batch Size: 5.5ga
OG: 1.085
FG: 1.016
ABV: ~9%
Color: 11SRM

Yeast: 2 packs of Safale-04 or 05 rehydrated

Grains:
1lb. - Pilsner malt
1lb. - Victory malt
12oz. - Corn sugar
3lbs. - Pilsen light DME
7lbs. - Pilsen light LME

Hops: (90-0 minutes)
1.3oz. - Amarillo
1.3oz. - Simcoe
0.7oz. - Warrior
----------------
1oz. - Amarillo (dry 14/7 days)
1oz. - Simcoe (dry 14/7 days)

Irish Moss

I use pellet hops for the boil, mix the 3.3oz. of hops together for the boil and split into additions, I do about 10 additions over the 90 minute boil. I dry hop with leaf hops half for 14 days (when the racked to the secondary) and add the other half after 7 days. Prime with 4oz. of corn sugar for about 2.3 volumes give or take depending on your temp.

Pitch enough healthy yeast and don't ferment warm (keep in mid 60s for most ales) and most beers regardless of gravity should be drinkable.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/india-brown-ale-recipe-formulation-290895/

I just tapped the keg of this over the weekend. Turned out pretty good. I ended up using a whole oz of Columbus at 60 min and dry hopped with a half oz of both cascade and Columbus. Two weeks in the primary then added hops directly to primarily for a week. Racked into a keg at 13 psig at 43 degrees F tapped after a week still needs a few more days to get to ideal carbonation but its not bad now. Came out at 7.8% abv.

I'll update the thread when I get home tonight.

We did an 8% Milk Stout, trying to breed in some winter warmer feel while holding the sweetness. It was ready in 6 weeks, but its aging quite well. Take the Sweet Stout recipe from BCS and bump the malt to 8lbs.

Back