high HIGH IBU

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gator

Reaction score
been reading about IBU's and am a bit concerned....

i'm brewing an american ale tonight using 2 oz nugget for bittering x 60 min.....1 oz cascade x 15 min and another oz for the last 10.

tastybrew has my ibu's set at 118...........ahh, should i cut back a bit on these hops???

just curious..................gator

That sounds a bit high. What is your boil volume? What is the expected gravity? I don't have previous knowledge with Nugget hops but I bet you could use only half the amount and still have a hoppy beer.

bingo blender!!!

thanks..........i'm a bit lower w/ 1/2 the nugget at 70 ibu, think i can live w/ that.

all the theoreticals:'

OG: 1.056
FG: 1.014
ABV: 5.4%
SRM: 8

we'll see how this goes.

gator

Yeah, that's in hoppy IPA territory, but if you want hops, that will get it. If you're doing an American Pale Ale, I'd shoot closer to 40 IBUs.

krispy d said:

bwahahahahaha

kinda the way i roll as well:mug:

preciate ya'll..........things are moving along pretty nicely.

gator

My favorite beer I've brewed is in the 120 range with an OG of 1.071. It's the Hey!Hey! IPA in my sig. Unfortunately I've drank all but 4 bottles I locked away for aging so I'll have to wait until the one in my primary is ready! :)

Boil size is very important in this equation. If you're boiling a 2 gallon boil, then 2oz of hops isn't going to be near as potent as a 5 gallon boil.

It all depends on what you like. Over 120 is definitely pushing it for me, but the owner of my LHBS, makes an IPA in the 190 range. It is all just personal preference. Who knows, if you have never had a beer that hoppy, it might be worth a try, it might become your favorite beer.

gator said:
bingo blender!!!

thanks..........i'm a bit lower w/ 1/2 the nugget at 70 ibu, think i can live w/ that.

all the theoreticals:'

OG: 1.056
FG: 1.014
ABV: 5.4%
SRM: 8

we'll see how this goes.

gator

I think a good question to ask yourself is are you trying to brew to a style or just tossing stuff together to come up with a tasty beer?

If the answer is the later, then you have to use your own likes/tastes to formulate what ingredients and amounts are appropriate.

Back