High Gravity Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarleyWater

Reaction score
I'm brewing a 1.075 ish IIPA tomorrow, and was wondering about the yeast. I've got WL001 which was recomended to me to be able to get the job done, but should I pitch two vials? I was told that this would help the little yeasties out getting a foothold, but do I really need it if I've got a decent starter? LHBS said no starter needed, just follow directions on vial, but pitch two of 'em. Over the past few visits, I have started to question his judgement.

Anything over 1.070 it's a good idea to make a starter. (Never hurts to make one for any beer) Two vials will get you going quicker than one but it's also twice as much money for yeast. Remember to also aerate well.

It's a real good idea to use a starter at that gravity and it's a lot cheaper than pitching two vials.

If you look at it this way, when you make a starter your trying to triple the yeast count at pitch time and getting them active and ready to rumble.. Another think I didn't notice in the threast was the use of yeast nutrient... Anytime I do a high gravity beer or a mead, I put yeast nutrient into the starter and maby some in the wort to give them some go juice and it helps bring them over the %abv hump a little... Becides, it's cute to see a beaker on the fridge doing a mini beer right before the big day... CHEERS!!!!

Back