high gravity yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdindy

Reaction score
So I am planning a parial mash recipe that will end up being about 1.1 and change OG. I was going to use a white labs belgian or trappist yeast. So my question is how to go about the yeast starter. Should I do a starter with 2 vials of yeast? or should I use 1 vial with a larger amout or DME (In the past I do 500ccs with 1/2 cup DME). I could use any advice thanks!

For that big of a beer, I'd give some serious thought to brewing a 1.040-1.050 ale using the same yeast. Rack that one off to keg/bottle and then pitch that big yeast cake into that high-grav wort.

Otherwise, you're going to find yourself having to make a really large, multi-step starter, especially if you don't have a stir plate.

I agree with BigFloyd. I did a 1.150 barley wine last year and was concerned about under pitching. I brewed a light cascade pale ale to get the s-05 to take off, transfered it to keg after two weeks and dropped the barley wine right on top. Put some O2 to it and boom, fired off. A couple of things I'd recommend though.

1) Make sure you get the yeast cake unpacked and into a liquid slurry before placing the big beer on top.

2) depending your final gravity desire, I'd recommend having a second vile of yeast ready to pitch when you get down to more south numbers, otherwise you may stall at 1.030ish. I wanted a dry BW so I pitch San Diego super on top. Finished at 1.015.

Back