High gravity w/ smack pack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeyuwp

Reaction score
Made a porter yesterday with OG of 1.083. Pitched 1 pack of wyeast 1275, not knowing until tonight that with a high OG I should of made a starter or used multiple packs. So far so good with Steady airlock activity. But Im worried that when I check the gravity in a few days it will still be high. Any steps I can take now or in a couple days to help myself out and save the batch? Thank you and cheers

Though I recognize how starters are a very good idea... I've never used one and have brewed as high as 1.080 brews. Don't worry. If you aerated well, then the yeast would have multiplied after you pitched and are now doing their thing. Use a starter next time if you can, but there's no need to worry that this one is ruined or anything.

You can still very well hit your FG. However, you may have some extra esters going on in your brew. Most yeasts tend to not be as clean when they're stressed by temp, and also under pitched.

Yeah, if the yeast are fermenting they are already doing their thing. If you don't hit your FG you can try to rouse the yeast and warm the fermenter up.

Thank you. I should just relax but I tend to worry too much. First time with a brew this heavy but probably the one I've been most excited for.

I would give it some extra time on the yeast cake to clean up any off flavors. 4 weeks total should be perfect

Latest posts

Back