High Gravity System or Induction with BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmendick

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my current propane keggle BIAB setup to electric BIAB.
The only modification to the keg is the 12" hole in the top, I almost exclusively do 5 gallon batches (I want to leave the option to do an occasional 10). Also I have a diy immersion chiller and an autosiphon to transfer.

Electricity scares me a little too much to build my own system, I do have a electrician friend that will do the little adjustments to make everything safe before I run the system but I don't feel comfortable asking him to build a system from the ground up for me.

All that being said I'm trying to decide what setup to go with.
1. The High Gravity BIAB setup here $1,100.
2. 15 gallon SSBrewTech pot and an Avantco 3500W induction cooktop $500.

Opinions?

I just got the High Gravity set up and so far so good. I am documenting the system on my Facebook page BRTbrewing. Check that out and maybe it will help.

about to finally pull the trigger meself on high gravity BIAB setup. only question is boil coil or traditional element. Anyone get the boil coil yet?

I got a boil coil for xmas and was very pleased with it for the first brew. It is proprietary so that is a downside.

My sources say the Boil Coil is the bomb. I don't have any personal experience.

I don't have any experience with induction heating, but I know you have make sure that a kettle that is compatible and that you have enough wattage to heat the volumes that you will be working with.

You are correct. I have done the research on induction ready pots and am torn between the SS Brew Tech, Bru-Gear, or MegaPot; all of their websites say they are induction ready.

I have looked through the few posts dedicated to induction and it sounds like the burner that I mentioned (Avantco ic3500) is the one most people use for 5-10 gallon batches.

I'm going the high gravity way, as soon as I can. On the video, He says effeciency is low but, I noticed on the video that his mash was way too thin for good conversion and he didn't sparge. Seems like an easy system for the counter top. I'm guessing learning to use it well, and I can get up to 75-80%. I considered the braumeister, but I can get 2 high gravity systems for the price of 1 braumeister. I looked at brew boss too, that system is awesome, but too automated for me. I still want to touch the product. Not just push a button.

On my first batch with the high gravity system was 73% brew house efficiency, approx. 80% mash efficiency. I think that is pretty good for a BIAB system.

All that being said I'm trying to decide what setup to go with.
1. The High Gravity BIAB setup here $1,100.
2. 15 gallon SSBrewTech pot and an Avantco 3500W induction cooktop $500.

Opinions?[/QUOTE]

I've used induction with a friend before, it was a little faster. But not nearly as fast as a stove top with an immersion heater. IMHO if it's about speed, just get an immersion heater. A little trick I'll share, I preheat my strike and sparge water with an electric roaster attached to a timer. So I never wait to dough in or sparge.

Back