High Gravity Stout, Grain + Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landonrone

Reaction score
Brewed last night, bubbling away right now. O.G. 1.106
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426357092.185553.jpg
Ingredients:
6 gallons distiller water
15mL (1tbs) calcium hypochlorite
1 oz whirlfloc tablet
12lbs light liquid malt extract
1lb Briess dry malt extract, dark
2oz Columbus hops
2oz chinook hops
2 1056 (American Ale) wyeast packs
2lbs roasted barley
1lb special b
1lb crystal 30
.5lb chocolate
.5lb dark chocolate
.5lb pale chocolate

I think it'll be a great beer. Should be a good one to condition. Not big in that myself, but with the ABV on this one, I think I'll try it.

That is a severe under pitching of yeast if you did not make a starter with the two packs, and hopefully you oxygenated well. Apart from that looks like a solid recipe!

I had them started for a while- 200 billion cells even without the starter, so it should be good- I plan on adding a third after a couple days, just to make sure, tho.

This is one I'm working on- I want this to be my best beer, so the recipe is gonna change a few times. This is the only one I plan on doing until I nail it.

Lots of roast. May take a while to mellow out from it. To me it would be too much.

No point in adding more yeast at 2 days. Just a waste of money.

Thanks- I went and asked the local expert who runs the store and he said the same. Also said that 200 billion will be plenty. But yeah there is a ton of roast- I like a lot but if I don't like this one, I'll be modifying as I go. I think next time I'll be cutting back on roast and upping the chocolate and hops- just going off a taste from my hydrometer reading, tho, so there's a lot to be seen.

I'm sorry- I only have a tentative grasp of what any of those things mean- I just know what they relate to. I'll adjust for bitterness and roast as I do this beer over and over.

Lol next brew I will lower the roast, raise the yeast, raise the hops, and I think add some caramel grains.

I'm sure it will be amazing once it's ready and it's nice to see someone working out a recipe until it's perfect!

Thanks I appreciate that. The gravity is at 1.036 right now and it seems to have stopped. Going to give it two more weeks in primary, move to secondary for a month, then bottle until Christmas.

From the reading I took last night, I let the cylinder sit in the fridge overnight to drop everything to the bottom so I could taste it. Surprisingly good- chocolatey, roasty, full flavor- but unsurprisingly astringent. I think a long time in the bottle is going to make this a great beer, though.

Racked to secondary last night. Smells incredible. Gravity steady at 1.036. Now I have the secondary sitting in my "cold room" (it stays around 58 degrees F) in the dark. Now to wait. A long time.

Back