High Gravity starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn0522

Reaction score
Ok so I am an idiot and embarred to admit this but i just realized my starter was made with an originaly gravity of 1.075. I am sure your saying how stupid do you have to be to do this. Well I decided to can some starter wort a few weeks ago since week days are so busy with three kids and liked the convenience for making starters. Long story short i pitched a kolch yeast onto a 1.075 starter. Starter looks and smells fine. What are your thoughts? Pitch it or dump it? I have time to start over before brewday sunday.

if strater shows sign life then you okay agggitate periodly makes yeast grow better

Have on a stir plate. I about threw it out this morning but hate throwing anything out. I am leaning towards using it. What a stupid mistake!

I think itll just take longer to get rolling, but it shouldnt kill the yeast or anything. As long as the yeast your pitched was moderately healthy, just give it time. I would try to keep as much of the tarter wort as possible out of the final beer though. It will likely have weird off flavors from yeast stress. Definitely try to decant it before pitching

That's not a stupid mistake at all. You're being too hard on yourself.... Which probably means you'll make or do make great beer.

Starter will be fine. Yeast will be a little stressed.

That's not a stupid mistake at all. You're being too hard on yourself.... Which probably means you'll make or do make great beer.

Starter will be fine. Yeast will be a little stressed.

Thanks! I saw you were making or have made edworts hefe with blueberries. I make this beer alot but never with fruit. Love to know how it turns out. Please PM and let me know.

So i pitched yeast last night and going nuts already this morning. Lots more yeast with the higher gravity i am sure.

Back