High Gravity Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdp07d

Reaction score
I'm brewing a 1.095 lager this weekend with WLP802. I have two, 2 liter starters each on their own stirplate with a vial of WLP802 in each flask. This should create close to enough yeast for the beer. Are there any recommended procedures for brewing lagers with this high of a gravity? Will the lager yeast handle this high of a gravity?

I believe what is important is the pitch rate and not whether it is a lager or ale yeast. Obviously, lager's require significantly higher pitch rates than ales due to the lower ferm temps. In addition, this one will require months to properly condition. I'm guessing anywhere from 3-6 months, so lots of patience is needed.

By my estimates, you need a pitch rate of about 645 billion cells. If your yeast is very viable (~90-95%), the two separate 2 L starters on a stir plate should get you pretty close. If your yeast are not very viable then you are likely severely underpitching.

Aerate well, pitch, then aerate again 30-45 minutes later, then again another 30-45 minutes after that. You want an absolute butt load of yeast in there to ferment it out properly. If you're using pure O2, you can get away with aerating twice.

Make sure you pitch at the low end of their optimal fermentation temperature and once you see activity start, let it warm up by 1* F every day, then once you're near FG let it warm up to 65 or so to let it fully finish out + diacetyl rest.

Back