High Gravity Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterWan

Reaction score
Hello,
Wanted to know if anyone could recomend a extract or partial mash kit that would yeild a great, 9 or 10% ABV chocolate stout. Someone else talked about making a high gravity stout like this and adding cyanne peppers to it for kick. Any advice?

Why not start making your own kits to what you like? I could never find exactly what I liked either so I started creating my own recipes from little parts of other brews. I'll take a guess at one and then you can change it from there if you'd like.

10 lbs Light DME
.5 lb black patent
.5 lb chocolate
.5 lb c 120
5 oz. baker's chocolate 15 min

2 oz. goldings 60 min

For yeast you can either go with something clean like US-05 or something like 1099 or some other yeast that will leave some residual sweetness.

Why not start making your own kits to what you like? I could never find exactly what I liked either so I started creating my own recipes from little parts of other brews. I'll take a guess at one and then you can change it from there if you'd like.

10 lbs Light DME
.5 lb black patent
.5 lb chocolate
.5 lb c 120

2 oz. goldings 60 min

For yeast you can either go with something clean like US-05 or something like 1099 or some other yeast that will leave some residual sweetness.

hmmmm, I need to take the plunge eventually. I think I'll try this... Just buy everything on the list then and follow basic cooking instructions?

This is what I would do, correct me if I'm wrong.

1. steep .5 black patent, .5 chocolate, and .5c120?
2. remove speciality grains and bring to boil
3. add 5 lbs. dme and boil for like 20 minutes
Here im confused. is goldings the hops?
bah! im lost.
Can you give me basic cooking instructions for that? :)

hmmmm, I need to take the plunge eventually. I think I'll try this... Just buy everything on the list then and follow basic cooking instructions?

This is what I would do, correct me if I'm wrong.

1. steep .5 black patent, .5 chocolate, and .5c120?
2. remove speciality grains and bring to boil
3. add 5 lbs. dme and boil for like 20 minutes
Here im confused. is goldings the hops?
bah! im lost.
Can you give me basic cooking instructions for that? :)

1 and 2 are correct and from there you are close.

3 Add 5 lbs DME and bring back to a boil.
4 Add 2 oz of Goldings hops at 60 min.
5 At 20 minutes add the rest of the DME.
6 At 15 minutes add 5 oz baker's chocolate.

I think I would revise the steeping grains to add in a .5 lb of roasted barley as well. Give it a little more roast character to follow up the chocolate.

So to clarify. once I add the 5 lbs dme and bring back to boil, I add bakers chocolate at 15 mins, the rest of the dme at 20, and then the hops at 60. How long then do I boil after I add the hops? I haven't done anything but a 60 minute boil.

So to clarify. once I add the 5 lbs dme and bring back to boil, I add bakers chocolate at 15 mins, the rest of the dme at 20, and then the hops at 60. How long then do I boil after I add the hops? I haven't done anything but a 60 minute boil.

When I say add the hops at 60 minutes that is the start of the boil. 20 minutes would be 20 minutes left and 15 is 15 minutes left.

Steep the grains, remove and bring to boil. Add all DME and bring back to boil. Put in 2 oz hops for the entire 60 minutes of the boil. With 15 minutes left in the boil add the baker's chocolate. Cool, pitch, wait.

10 lbs Light DME
.5 lb black patent
.5 lb chocolate
.5 lb c 120

2 oz. goldings 60 min

I recently made a Chili Chocolate Stout very similar to this recipes. Although I used Dark LME. I also used 6oz of unsweetened hersheys chocolate at 5 min. This was also a 4 gallon batch so I went heavy on the chocolate. When I racked to secondary I added 4 rehydrated ancho peppers and 2 fresh serrano peppers. It is unique, but I love it. The chocolate and pepper blend nicely. I can only imagine how much better it will get with age.!!

I'm not too big a fan of spicey food. So I am wondering what kind of spice/sweetness peppers bring to the table and how to balance out the the flavor?

Back