High FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacktar

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I started a Munton's wheat beer extract kit. OG: 1.042. I transferred to the carboy 10 days later and SG was 1.016. It's now ten days later and the SG: is 1.014.

It's a no boil kit and I used 1.2kg of DME. The temperature took a dip to around 17(62.5) but it's been at 22(71.5) for the last 10 days. There is no trace of bubbles or foam on my wort. Is this beer done? 1.014 seems not done to me.

A few weeks ago I started a Munton's wheat beer extract kit. OG: 1.042. I transferred to the carboy 10 days later and SG was 1.016. It's now ten days later and the SG: is 1.014.

It's a no boil kit and I used 1.2kg of DME. The temperature took a dip to around 17(62.5) but it's been at 22(71.5) for the last 10 days. There is no trace of bubbles or foam on my wort. Is this beer done? 1.014 seems not done to me.

Yep, 1.014 is a good FG and the beer is done for sure!

ChandlerBang said:
Sounds like it is done to me. What does the kit say the FG should be?

1008 but those instructions assume you're using sugar. This is my first time using DME so I dont know how that will affect things. All my other brews gave me a FG of 1004ish. I used malt instead of sugar for all those. Why is my FG so high now?

that's not really a high FG. you were getting very dry beers before as anything below 1.01 is really going to lack body. Have you tasted this beer yet?

BTW, using sugar will typically make your FG lower because the yeast ferments that more easily than maltose.

1008 but those instructions assume you're using sugar. This is my first time using DME so I dont know how that will affect things. All my other brews gave me a FG of 1004ish. I used malt instead of sugar for all those. Why is my FG so high now?

It's not high! Your FGs were LOW before, from using simple sugars. A wheat beer should have a good flavor, not too dry in the finish. The only time I want a FG under 1.010 or so is when I'm making a crisp dry beer like a cream ale- a thin easy drinker. Most of my other beers stop at 1.012-1.016 because they have some residual malt flavor.

Thanks guys. I thought I was doing something wrong and I learned something new about gravity. I think I'll go and bottle and maybe try a sample to see what it tastes like. I'm curious. I have a feeling that it'll be different than my other brews.

Back