high FG please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trufleshufle13

Reaction score
i have an IPA that i was going to switch over to secondary right now but the numbers seemed weird to me.

it was an IPA extract kit which i added to.

original recipe.

6.6 lbs Amber Malt Extract
1 lb Caramel- 40 grain
1/2 lb Roasted barley grain
1 1/2 oz Northern Brewer hop
3/4 oz Cascade hops
Dry ale yeast
2 tsp Gypsum

i added 1 lb Gold dry Malt for more alcohol

and a few oz of cascade and northern brewer cuz i love me my hops.

they predicted 1.055-1.065 OG but even after adding the lb of GDM i only got 1.056

now i did one more reading after almost 2 weeks in primary and its 1.024

did it not finish fermenting, is this just a low abv% beer, should i just go straight to secondary without changing anything. using the calculator its a 4.07% and im not a fan of that.

basically, is this a problem in any way. ANY info on this would be awesome as i have everything waiting to switch over as i type.

thanx

extract does contain a fair amount of unfermentables, whether that is your entire problem or not I cant say, you could try some gentle swirling of the primary to possibly kick the yeast back into action. Re pitching wouldnt hurt anything either.

if i add another packet of yeast should i just do it like i did the first one or take a cup of beer and start it in there before adding it to the primary again.

Assuming you made 5 gallons, you will have gotten an OG > 1.060. Did you use top up water before taking the OG reading? and if so, did you mix it in really well? I'd be prepared to bet that that explains the low OG.
As for the FG, what yeast did you use? Some of them don't ferment all malt brews very well, and you may have not used enough yeast if you had a small packet.
Then again, it's only been going for 2 weeks. It may still be fermenting slowly. Take another gravity reading in another few days, and see if it has dropped.
As for re-pitching, I don't think that will work. (At least, it never worked for me when I had stuck fermentations.)

-a.

Windsor can leave the FG quite high. That could be what you are encountering. I used it in a Milk Oatmeal Stout (that had a high amount of non-fermentables btw) and got a FG of 1.024 from 1.052. The yeast could be the culprit in your case.

so what should i do from here? i gave it a little swirl and capped it back up, if this does nothing in the next few days should i get a different yeast?

OK, Windsor comes in 11g packets, which should be fine for handling a 5g brew. It also shouldn't have problems fermenting an all malt brew.

However, from the Danstar web site: http://www.danstaryeast.com/products/windsor-ale-yeast
"Windsor demonstrates moderate attenuation which will leave a relatively high gravity (density)."
Also, from data sheet:
"5. Storage
• All active dried yeast should be stored dry and below 8°C. The packaging should remain intact.
• Activity loss is about 25% per year at 8°C and 50% per year at 22°C in unopened sealed packs."
How old was the yeast, and how was it stored before you got it?

For an IPA, I would use US 05, or possibly Nottingham.

-a.

i bought it and used it that day, i have another packet of the same because i used another yeast when i got a different kit that came with it. so should i put this packet to the side and get the us 05 and throw it in?

also have some of that clearing agent you use after fermentation, should i just hold off until i knows its completey done and is going in the secondary. because i had it in there for 2 weeks so far.

sorry for the self bump but im prolly going to do some running around tomorrow after work so i wanna plan it.

Two things I can think of are temperature and water volume.

Extracts are pretty easy to gauge so if you have a specific amount of water and a specific amount of extract your SG is fairly easy to calculate, do you have 5 gallons in your fermentor?
How has the ferment temperature been? If the temp is low per the yeasts liking a slower ferment could happen!

the temps stayed good the entire time but the water was just a tad over, maybe another 1/8 of a gallon at the most. which might have something to do with the low OG but not the high FG

should i just throw in a packet of US 05?

the temps stayed good the entire time but the water was just a tad over, maybe another 1/8 of a gallon at the most. which might have something to do with the low OG but not the high FG
An extra pint in a 5-gallon batch is 1/40th part. This would lower the OG from (for example) 1.065 to 1.0634 - in other words, not much.

As an aside, getting comfortable with gravity math is a problem for many (including me!). But it is well worth the effort to master. Take every opportunity to practice the calculations, the readings, the interpretations involved. Believe me, the effort will pay off on virtually every batch you brew.

should i just throw in a packet of US 05?
Sure, but I'd baby it along rather than just tossing it in. If possible, rehydrate it in a cup of wort first. Be mindful of the risks involved as well.

Be mindful of the risks involved as well.

thats what i was getting at, what exactly should i watch out for risk wise. also could u describe the "babying" process a little bit. this is my first time having to go back and re do the yeast so im not familiar with it.

Back