High FG. Pitch more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjbank

Reaction score
I have a strong scotch ale I brewed about six weeks ago. OG was 1087. FG is at 1034. I was looking for more around 1025. It's been stuck at 1034 for 2 weeks. It fermented at 60 and I have had it around 64 the last week or so. I used WL Edinburg yeast.
What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Id give it a swirl and raise it to 70 degrees or so and see if that helps. If the mash temp was high and there was a lot of crystal malts, that might not be out of line.

If not you can pitch a more attenuative yeast from an active starter.

agree, you should try the gentle swirl method first to see if you can rouse the yeast back into action. Other options are to add some champagne yeast to see if you can get a little more attenuation, but as mentioned above there are lots of factors that could result in the higher FG (percentage of crystal malts, mash temp, aeration, etc).

From wl;
Attenuation70-75%

FlocculationMedium

Optimum Ferment Temp.65-70°F, 18-21°C (Does not ferment well less than 62°F or 16°C)

Alcohol ToleranceMedim-High

Your ferment at 60 was too low. Also, you haven't told us how much yeast you pitched or how you oxygenated the wort. Both are very important at that high a gravity.

If all else is good I would add energizer, swirl, up temp to 68°f. I'd probably pitch more yeast as well if I had some stored, but wouldn't bother buying more unless the energizer and temp didn't work. I think a couple oz corn sugar with the energizer help wake the yeast up, but others disagree.

Back