High FG on Munich Dunkel w 100% munich malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolabrew85

Reaction score
Could a high FG of 1.017 be because of low diastatic power of Munich malt and a 154 mash temp? I expected FG to be 1.015 at the highest. Explanation of methods below, if needed. Thanks!

I made my first Munich Dunkel recently with basically 100% Munich Malt (10 lbs Munich 5 and 2 lbs Munich 20) and 6 oz of Carafa III - 5 gallon batch. I mashed at about 153-154 for 90 minutes (went long because I heard needed a longer mash with a malt with low diastatic power like Munich); the wort was sweet, so I am sure it converted. I made a nice 2.9 L starter with 1 pack of Wyeast Bavarian Lager and 1 pack of Wyeast Bohemian Lager (had to blend bc only had one of each at HBS). I crashed and decanted the starter before letting it raise back up to about 50 degrees. I pitched in 54 degree wort. I completely forgot to check the OG :(, but generally I get 65% efficiency, so I expect it was somewhere in the 1.052-1.054 range. The beer fermented at about 52 degrees for 10 days, when it reached a gravity of 1.020, so I began diacetyl rest at 65 degrees for 5 days. After the 5 days, the gravity was still at 1.017, and all signs of fermentation had ceased. I did a forced diacetyl test where I heated a sample of beer to 150 degrees for 15 minutes and cooled it to room temp, and there was no diacetyl smell.

Without your OG it is really hard to say if you actually have any problems, considering you thought it could end at 1.015 and it is at 1.017.

If you had greater than expected efficiency, you easily could have overshot your OG and your actual FG is on target for the yeast you used.

The other thing I do not see mentioned is if/how you oxygenated your wort.

That said, I have made countless batches using all Munich malt, and never with any issues. I would feel confident saying the malt is not your problem.

Ultimately, if it tastes good, great. If it isn't as you hoped it would be, on the next batch be sure to take more care to record all of your data! :mug:

Your different FG that what you expected is within range of the variation in the yeast doing the fermenting. The estimated FG is just that, an estimation.

Back