High FG in weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lrbijl

Reaction score
So, two weeks ago my weizen started fermenting, and went on happily for a few days, and then slowed..

I was going to bottle it today, but the FG is 1.024, which is WAY to high, right?

What should i do?

Swirl your fermentor a little bit to rouse the yeast back into suspension or raise the temperatures a wee bit. This will usually jumps start them.

Off topic: On a side note did you have to use a blow off with the high gravity weizen?

I just made it from a kit with a few pounds of lme..
the OG was 1042, so the 1024 i got out cant be right?

I also tried swirling it a week ago, without it starting up again..

On a side note, I did use a blow off for my double IPA that is also in the fermentor right now.. That one had an OG of 1065 (I know, on the low side) and is still fermenting two weeks later. It is 1020 now, which I guess is close to what it should be?

ya you should be able to get it much lower than 1.024 with that starting gravity. Do you have a room that it a little bit warmer that you could move the fermenter to?

Give that a shot and see if it helps jump start it a bit. One of the employees I was talking to in the LHBS recently told me he would use the stout bucket-fermenters (shorter but fatter) and they fit perfectly in cabinets...one of the cabinets being under his bathroom sink.

That is about the extent of my knowledge for jump starting stuck fermentations so if that does not work hopefully someone else can chime in!

PS: Just so you don't get crucified by the patience nazi's, how long has it been fermenting and how long has it been stuck?

I found out that my hydrometer is five points off (after testing it in water).
And then when I re-tested the weizen again (after shaking the hydrometer well while in the liquid) and got a 1019, effectively giving me something like a 1014.

So I bottled them.

However, there was a lot of carbonation in the beer, which makes me worried about bottle bombs? The bottles have some "head", even half an hour after bottling.

And it had been fermenting for a good 2 weeks at roughly 64 degrees, stuck for the last 9 days.

Latest posts

Back