High FG imperial sweet stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

By-Tor

Reaction score
Today i racked my imperial sweet stout to secondary.After 1 month in primary, the FG reading is 1.040, this seems way high to me. Anybody ever have that FG with Imperial stout?( 1 lb of milk sugar during boil) I plan on leaving it in secondary for a month and bottle for a month.

Today i racked my imperial sweet stout to secondary.After 1 month in primary, the FG reading is 1.040, this seems way high to me. Anybody ever have that FG with Imperial stout?( 1 lb of milk sugar during boil) I plan on leaving it in secondary for a month and bottle for a month.

Yes, it is possible. It depends on the ingredients (besides the lactose), the OG, the yeast strain and the health of the yeast, as well as the mash temperature.

The OG was 1.099, mash temp was 155F.19 lbs of grain, the blowoff was big for almost 48 hrs.

I'm stuck at 1028 with a double chocolate stout. The recipe targeted 1017. It tastes great but sweeter and lower ABV than I want.

What were your mash temps?,i'm still not sure what to do,but I guess I do have a month to figure it out before I bottle.

I raised the temp, I gently stirred, I pitched another pack of 04. Been in secondary since Nov.2011 and the FG is still at 1.038. I'm bottling it this weekend,I think i'll put the bottles inside a big plastic container.I sure hope I can drink this, the sample tasted great.

I just bottled a small batch imperial stout. I mashed it hot, at 158F, and boiled it a long time to get it down to about a gallon. (Minus the pre- and post-samples, and less all the trub, I ended up with 84 fl oz!) I started at 1.111 and ended at 1.042 after 3 weeks with US-05. After bottling it I bagged it and put it in a tub, and then immediately got online to see if others had had high FG experiences with imperial stouts. :)

I know this is a very old post, but I'm interested to know if your stout turned out okay and if you had bottle bombs. I figure I'll bottle condition mine for a year or so, so from that perspective the post isn't that old... perhaps you're still aging yours. :)

My post-fermentation sample tasted amazing, so I'm hoping that I'll end up with all seven bottles of an amazing beer a year from now.

Back