High FG from Midwest Autumn Amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry22

Reaction score
Two weeks ago exactly 1/10 I brewed my first kit, an Autumn Amber extract I received form the groupon deal. Everything went smoothly and I followed the directions exactly. I used a turkey frier and did about a 3 gallon boil and topped up with about 2 gallons in the fermenter, then pitched the dry yeast on top. IN the first couple of days, the blow off tube bubbled really well, maybe every 1- secs then slowed down. Replaced with a air lock and the krausen has disappeared since.

In all the excitement of my first brew I forgot to take a OG reading. Using my refractometer that hasn't been used in years and calibrated with spring water (I know, RODI or distilled would be better but I didnt have any) I have been gettin g constant 1.040 readings for the last 3 days. What should I do?

I brewed a second extract kit on 1/19, Midwests Bavarian wheat and this one had considerably less blow off activity but had an OG of 1.064/65 and has had since 1/22 1.036, 1/23 1.036, 1/24 1.036. Fermentation temps have been around 64-68 according to the stick on thermometer. My house is usually kept at 68-70 but its been hard because it will be 40 one day and then 70 like today.

Both are suppose to have OG of 1.042-1.046 and FG of 1.010-1.012.

Sorry for the novel, just wanted some advice on what to do particularly with the autumn amber. Thanks

I would recommend that you rouse the fermenters and get the yeast back in suspension. What yeast did you use?

Doublecheck your readings with a hydrometer. The most likely answer is that your refractometer readings are incorrect, either due to improper calibration or misreading/miscalculating. Have you tasted the beer? If you used dry yeast then these batches are probably complete or almost complete.

Dry yeast on the autumn ale and wyeast on the bavarian wheat. Whatever came with the kits is what I used. Im going to go buy some distilled water and recalibrate the refractometer and retest with a hydrometer as well.

Will post the results, thanks for the help.

OP... I just brewed the same autumn ale from Midwest with my groupon 8 days ago and it's OG was 1.040 and It fermented great and then calmed down and I've done great not to touch it since and will probably take a reading on Friday to see where it's that. I will definitely post my FG to let you know.

Perhaps your doing something wrong.

I just calibrated my refractometer with distilled H2O and it was the same, 1.040. Used way too much of a sample (hydrometer is tall) and got 1.012 with the hydrometer so I am going to bottle. Crazy that it is that off. Guess I will be using a hydrometer from now on.

Since the hydrometer is so tall is there an easy way to not use a whole of beer to sample. Thinking about getting a thief or graduated cylinder. What does everyone use?

I just calibrated my refractometer and it was the same, 1.040. Used way too much of a sampe (hydrometer is tall) and got 1.012 with the hydrometer so I am going to bottle. Crazy that it is that off. Guess I will be using a hydrometer from now on.

Since the hydrometer is so tall is there an easy way to not use a whole of beer to sample. Thinking about getting a thief or graduated cylinder. What does everyone use?

I think there is about 3 ounces of beer in the test jar, so I just drink it. Three ounces really isn't all that much to worry about.

The refractometer isn't "off". It can't read correctly when alcohol is in the mix. There are some calculators you can find online that can guestimate the actual reading once fermentation has begun, but for a FG a hydrometer can't be replaced.

Yooper said:
I think there is about 3 ounces of beer in the test jar, so I just drink it. Three ounces really isn't all that much to worry about.

The refractometer isn't "off". It can't read correctly when alcohol is in the mix. There are some calculators you can find online that can guestimate the actual reading once fermentation has begun, but for a FG a hydrometer can't be replaced.

Though hadnt even occurred to me to use the tube it came in. I used a big cup and probably lost a beer, oh well, I came out to 50 beers so I guess it worked out.

Thanks for the help guys.

There are issues with your refractometer, it has a screw to calibrate it. Do you have the directions?

There are issues with your refractometer, it has a screw to calibrate it. Do you have the directions?

Yeah I calibrated it correctly. It was still way off, due to alcohol I have now learned. It was from my saltwater fish tank days so I know how to use it.

Yeah I calibrated it correctly. It was still way off, due to alcohol I have now learned. It was from my saltwater fish tank days so I know how to use it.

No problem. I sell laboratory supplies and didn't want you hating on progress.

Henry22 said:
I just calibrated my refractometer with distilled H2O and it was the same, 1.040. Used way too much of a sample (hydrometer is tall) and got 1.012 with the hydrometer so I am going to bottle. Crazy that it is that off. Guess I will be using a hydrometer from now on.

I use a thief and love it. If you clean and sanitize it before/after each use you will not have any problems with contamination. I love mine. Works great and you control the amount needed. I used water to measure how much liquid I needed to get a reading with my hydrometer and marked it with a marker so I'm not taking more then I need.

Cheers.

I use a thief and love it. If you clean and sanitize it before/after each use you will not have any problems with contamination. I love mine. Works great and you control the amount needed. I used water to measure how much liquid I needed to get a reading with my hydrometer and marked it with a marker so I'm not taking more then I need.

Cheers.

Thanks. Where did you get yours? Im looking at a wine glass thief at my LHBS.

Update as promised on the same kit.

Just did a reading on day 9 (prepping to move to secondary to free up fermenter) and got a 1.012 reading at 62F in the room... Im moving to secondary tomorrow.

Back