High Fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guilio_2010

Reaction score
new to this and learning, but I have a kit that I bought and when doing the process, the one thing that doesn't fit is the fermentation temp. The temp gauge shows around 68-72 but nothing seems to bubble. I took the bucket, put it in hot water and then bubbling happened. I transferred to a secondary and the gravity is at ~~1.039 from 1.051 this is after a week, but it needs to get down to ~1.017. It seems when the temp is around 68-72, nothing happens and only ferments at higher temps around 81 or higher. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? I know that the drop in gravity says something is happening, but my first batch didn't take this long. The kit is a Dunkelweizen. Shoud I keep it on warm water and let the fermentation continue? Even in a carboy, I don't see much foaming.

Check the temperature range for the strain of yeast that your using, then stay within that temp range. Just because its not bubbling doesnt mean it isnt fermenting, even though that does seem slow. Someone will probably chime in with more help.

Well .... temps of 81 and higher will probably give you some crazy off flavors.... think bubble gum..... Think your only hope to save this is keep it at that 68 range and re-pitch another pack of yeast.... and then leave it alone for 7-10 days.... no hot water... no racking.... don't even look at it.... ! :drunk:

the temp range of the yeast from what I remember was in the 80s which I found weird cause I remember reading different then the ideal range. I think this is what it was. Danstar Munich Wheat Beer Yeast. I guess where I'm going wrong is the direction on the sheet and what the yeast package says is different and I'm going by the instruction sheet. Should I have put the yeast in the warmer water first? I know bread yeast you put in water add sugar to get it going. Does beer yeast work the same? The problem I'm going to have is finding another pack of yeast in a decent time frame.

I just can't grasp that if it's in optimal temp range and there is no bubbling that it is fermenting. I know that when I opened the top, I didn't see any foam and that is when I put it in hot water and then bubbling happened.

I always add my dry yeast straight to the fermenter. Its easier to get all the yeast in the pack out vs dealing with the slurry at the bottom of the cup, at least for me. They know what to do, theyll find their way to the sugar. I would ferment in the middle to low end of what your yeasts ideal range is.

Ahhhh rehydrating the yeast at that temp but not during fermentation....... look at the 3,000,000 post about lack of airlock activity does not = lack of fermentation........

Id put your fermenter somewhere where u can get like 68 degrees, go buy a pack of US-05, sprinkle the yeast onto the top and leave it for 2 weeks.

Hopefully u can save it

rented_mule73, I'll take that as a "I did something wrong". Unfortunately, I'm not able to do a search on this forum for some reason (if you can link a good post, I would gladly appreciate), but I did do a search on google and from what I read, when I popped the lid, I should have taking a reading with the hydrometer first rather than looking visually at the brew and saying "No foam, no fermentation" and putting it in hot water to raise temp.

The question I have is rehydrating? I did do some reading on this, but I found 2 different articles. One says just get the water at the temp, add yeast, swirl, then add to wort while the other has the same steps, but adding additional sugar to the proof. Which would be best?

I guess from reading on the rehydration part that my yeast is still in dormant state and due to just adding it to my brew right out of the packet, it couldn't absorb the water?

Thanks again.

At this point, I'm willing ot try anything. The place I normally go to should have US-05 from their website, but i'll call and see.

Thanks,
guilio_2010

KeyWest, I did that on my first batch and it worked fine...this is my 2nd and it seems like an epic fail now....:-(

Don't get bummed just yet. I'd take some more readings and see if it's still fermenting before repitching any yeast. Maybe you got a bad pack and they've had to multiply before fermentation started going. My 3rd batch had little to no krausen and took forever to ferment out, but in its own time it got there. I still think pitching out of the package isn't the issue at hand. Did you oxygenate the wort before pitching?

Dont worry about the fermentation. You have a bucket right? Its leaking past the seal. Let it go, you already know its working due to the drop in gravity. If you want your airlock to bubble, pull it out and blow through it. Otherwise, let it be and have a drink.:D

by transferring to secondary before the yeast was at or near FG, you just removed most of the yeast, so those remaining will take much longer to finish now.
For future--
Wheat beers (like your Dunkle) do not need a secondary.

Most beers do not need a secondary.

If you still want to move it, don't do it until after (!) you have confirmed by a hydrometer that is done or within ~5 points, i.e. usually below 1.020.
As for what to do now, as it has been a week I would add some yeast.

Midfielder5,

That is one of the questions I needed answered. Everyplace said after 5-7 days, transfer it, but I never knew anymore than that...If I would of known it was within 5 points, it would of stayed in the bucket.

I do have a packet of US-05. Should I add it? If so, do I add it and not mix it?

Thanks again...

Keywest, what do you mean oxygenate the wort?

When you transfer from the boil kettle to your fermenter pour it through a funnel with cheese cloth in it. It will help filter any trub and help introduce oxygen to the wort as you pour it through. After that,and before pitching your yeast, rock the hell out of the fermentor to splash the wort as much as possible to oxygenate it some more. Dont do it anytime after that though because at that point the oxygen is bad for your beer.

I added the yeast and it started to work pretty good with alittle foaming, but after a bit, it died off. However, when you take a hard close look you do see some little bubbles come to the top. Just doesn't foam like I thought it would.

I'll leave it like this for a bit and let everyone know how it's going. Hopefully it turns out good.

Now just leave it and walk away.... did you get a gravity reading prior to re-pitching ? Let it got for 5-7 days and then grab another.....

rented_mule73, I did get my gravity reading before I repintch. I have it in my one room downstairs where it's nice a cool, wrapped in a blanket and I'm leaving it alone. On a good note, when I took the gravity reading, I did drink what was out and it didn't taste half bad. maybe there is still hope...:D

guilio_2010 said:
Midfielder5,

That is one of the questions I needed answered. Everyplace said after 5-7 days, transfer it, but I never knew anymore than that...
Thanks again...
The beginner kit instructions are usually garbage. Yeast don't follow a calendar! The advice is antiquated and many people dont secondary.
Anyways, keep reading, learning & brewing.

Ok guys. I took an reading and it's at ~1.027. I was hoping for the 1.015 so I can bottle it before I leave. Because of this, I put the stopper back on. Was I right in doing this? About how many more days? Also, if I'm using a glad carbon, could I just leave the gravity reader in it?

On a good note, it tastes really good. :)

guilio_2010 said:
Ok guys. I took an reading and it's at ~1.027. I was hoping for the 1.015 so I can bottle it before I leave. Because of this, I put the stopper back on. Was I right in doing this? About how many more days? Also, if I'm using a glad carbon, could I just leave the gravity reader in it?

On a good note, it tastes really good. :)

Yes as long as you sanitized it and the mouth of the carboy again before putting the stopper back. I wouldn't leave the hydrometer in there. Wait until your gravity hasn't changed and you get the same readings taken a few days apart. Then give it some more time after that for the yeast to clean up and fall out.

I ran the stopper under extreme hot water before putting it back on. I have the water cranked up at my house.

Sounds like I have some more time for that. I'll check it again this weekend.

Thanks,

Ok, so I took a gravity reading today and it hasn't changed....bottle it? It's not at the recommended reading but it hasn't changed....

Hello, follow the yeast strain recommended temp range not the instruction sheet, the standard ferment at 65 deg temp dose not work with every yeast strain, I have a saison yeast fermenting, that has a starting temp of 70 deg and runs up to 95 deg, (this is where it is suppose to ferment at) last batch I used this yeast on stuck at 1.040 @ 80 deg for 5 days, as soon as I raised the temp to 85 deg it took off fermenting again, it finished out at 1.014 @ 87 deg.

Forget about the time frames in the instructions, ferment un-till your "gravity reading" is the same for 3 days in a row (except when you have a stuck fermentation) 2 weeks primary with 1 to 2 weeks secondary or 3 weeks primary without secondary, are about the minimum time frames for most brews, 1 week is to short.

Forget about what the bubbler is doing, it is not a calibrated instrument, only gravity readings will tell you when your brew is ready, and it will tell you, if you let it, let your brew tell you when to transfer or bottle it, this is the best advice I was given on this forum.

good luck and cheers :mug:

Latest posts

Back