High Calculated FG - Predictable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I plan on starting a solera project in the near future, and I've got a recipe in mind. It's loosely based on La Folie, but the issue I'm running into is the FG seems higher than the recipes I've seen, as well as where I'd like this to finish.

I plan on doing a primary ferment with WY1056, then moving it to the aging vessel after ~2 weeks, where I'll hit it with WY3278 (Belgian Lambic Blend) and WY5526 (Brett Lambicus). Simply plugging the stats into a recipe builder has the OG = 1.067 and FG = 1.019. From what I've learned in my relatively short foray into sours/wilds, I'm assuming that FG of 1.019 will be post-sacc, and after long-term aging with the blend & brett, this will drop more down towards sub-1.010. However, I don't want make an incorrect assumption for such an investment.

Obviously I'm attempting to get some non-sacc-fermentables into the fermenter, as I am also planning on mashing at 156F. Should I adjust the grainbill to target a lower "FG" though, or will the blend/brett drop this to where I'm hoping?

71% Pale
10% Munich
10% Crystal 80
7% Carapils
2% Chocolate

Just wanted to throw out an update, if anyone's interested.

After a year of aging, took a sample and this is an amazing beer. I have added dregs of local sours, but with a diverse bug lineup it's very good. I haven't procured any La Folie lately, so a side by side comparison will follow later. I don't intend on blending, but in and of itself seems pretty close to La Folie (going by memory).

I'll be throwing some burgundy soaked oak in it for a few weeks, soon, and should know a FG at that time. By no means did it taste like it finished high, though, so: yay to the process!

50 gal? No detectable acetic acid or ethyl acetate?
That's awesome, thanks.

I'm still in the market for a barrel of some kind.

No no no, small one. About 11.5 gal.

Attachments

• 20190109_150742[1].jpg
    20190109_150742[1].jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 25
Back