High BG. Where to boil to?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzzy-Q

Reaction score
With the last two AG batches I have done, I have had a higher BG than was targeted. I believe that this is because I am using a new supplier and his crush is much finer than the previous supplier resulting in greater efficiency. Wort was cooled when taking reading. I know with lower BG, you can add DME or boil longer to get your OG...what about the flip side? Until I get things dialed in (got a mill for Christmas, so it will take a few batches) IF you go over your expected BG, should you still be trying to hit you OG, regardless of the final volume? Hitting vol will mean a higher ABV,(not always a good thing), but boiling to OG may result in a shorter boil time (unless a less vigorous boil is used) and may result in incorrect hop utilization.

Thoughts?

If my OG is too high I often add bottles of spring water. One small bottle (16.9oz) will usually bring my gravity down .002 points. Works for me......

Back