High ABV hard mulled cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IJesusChrist

Reaction score
Has anyone done this?
This is a lazy post, I'll edit it/bump it later.

I'd like a 12%+ cider with cinnamon and sweet for winter time. I'm thinking of using EC-1118, and adding any flavorings to secondary (including Apple juice concentrate).

I'm wondering if anyones done this and had success without nutrient addition

You'll do fine with that. No energizer necessary, the EC-1118 goes like a rocket anyway. Be gentle with the mulling spices, it's easy to overdo it. I used 4 cloves and 1/2 tsp of 'apple pie spice' (cinnamon & nutmeg mixture I think), and that was plenty for my pumpkin-apple cider.

You'll do fine with that. No energizer necessary, the EC-1118 goes like a rocket anyway. Be gentle with the mulling spices, it's easy to overdo it. I used 4 cloves and 1/2 tsp of 'apple pie spice' (cinnamon & nutmeg mixture I think), and that was plenty for my pumpkin-apple cider.

For 5 gallon? I've heard 1 clove/gallon.

I went ahead and did this but used a wheat yeast, interestingly enough. I was reading some posts on here and decided maybe on some yeast character, rather than the clean profile of EC-1118.

I think wyeast 3568 is what I used. I will be using nutrient anyway.

Did a 2 liter starter... was stupidly impatient and didn't let it cool for the yeast to flocc out, so I probably dumped quite a bit of lively yeast (sigh, so impatient I am)...

Back