High 50's too low for Wyeast American Ale Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarsnik

Reaction score
My basement ended up being much cooler than anticipated. Will I run into any problems or should I make any adjustments to ensure my fermentation completes properly?

Ideally, I would think you would probably want to use a starter if fermenting that cold

sarsnik said:
My basement ended up being much cooler than anticipated. Will I run into any problems or should I make any adjustments to ensure my fermentation completes properly?

Remember that 60-72 is the optimum range. High 50's is ok to start but after the growth phase is over (roughly 36-48 hours) you should make an adjustment to ramp the temp up. If its a high gravity beer you could get a stuck fermentation by leaving that low. Bumping it up a few degrees a day to the low 70's will help reduce the chance that the yeast will drop out. If you don't have a way to control the temp, put a space heater in to increase the room temp and let the beer free rise.

I'm in the same boat. My basement hovers right around 60, a bit cooler at night. I was able to get my fermenters a few degrees warmer by insulating them from the floor and wrapping some old blankets around them since they generate their own heat during fermentation. I can get them up around 64-65 when they're going strong. Hope this helps.

Mike

Once fermentation starts slowing down, just move the carboy to a warmer room. That will help it finish up properly.

Back