Hibiscus mead changed color after adding yeast nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conca

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm doing my first hibiscus mead. I boiled tap water and hibiscus flowers the previous day and left it in the pot overnight. Next morning, the "tea" had a really nice red color. I mixed it with the honey and then I added the yeast nutrient. After adding the yeast nutrient, the must changed color and turned black!

I had some tea left, so I did an experiment: I filled a cup of pure hibiscus tea (no honey), and then added the yeast nutrient. As expected, the tea turned black.

I used dry "Jamaica" hibiscus, from a mexican market. The nutrient is LD Carlson Yeast Nutrient (Food grade urea and diammonium phosphate).

Anybody had similar experiences?
What should I expect?

Before:
IMG-20190329-120201.jpg

After:
IMG-20190329-120120.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm doing my first hibiscus mead. I boiled tap water and hibiscus flowers the previous day and left it in the pot overnight. Next morning, the "tea" had a really nice red color. I mixed it with the honey and then I added the yeast nutrient. After adding the yeast nutrient, the must changed color and turned black!

I had some tea left, so I did an experiment: I filled a cup of pure hibiscus tea (no honey), and then added the yeast nutrient. As expected, the tea turned black.

I used dry "Jamaica" hibiscus, from a mexican market. The nutrient is LD Carlson Yeast Nutrient (Food grade urea and diammonium phosphate).

Anybody had similar experiences?
What should I expect?

Before:
IMG-20190329-120201.jpg

After:
IMG-20190329-120120.jpg

Thanks!
Crazy, never had that issue, I used EC-1118 yeast and made a tea prior to add-in to primary. Eventually the yeast ate some of the red color out and it finished a dull orange but not black. It maintained the red color much better when I added the tea to the secondary once the yeast was about 3/4 done with fermentation (I also used hops in both of those batches) either way never had it turn black. Does it still smell/taste OK?

I bet it turns red again during fermentation. Sounds like a reaction to pH. I think DAP is slightly basic. Try adding a little vinegar to your test cup of tea after adding the nutrient.

I have used Hibiscus a number of times, never had that happen. But I dont leave it out overnight I just throw it in hot after steeping for 15 minutes and cool with some chilled water. Will be interested in hearing what happens during the ferment.

After 24 hours in the fermenter, the fermentation already started and the color turned into red again.

IMG-20190330-104302-1.jpg

I don't know what was causing the reaction: I tried making fresh tea with tap water and bottled water, but both of them reacted the same way. Tried the suggestion of using vinegar, but it didn't change the color. Anyways, it is looking good now. Thanks everybody for the support.

Attachments

• IMG_20190330_104302 (1).jpg
    IMG_20190330_104302 (1).jpg
    767.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Back