Hi from Vermont

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieVT

Reaction score
Just popping in to say hi. New member here, I've been reading threads for a while now, but wanted to post too.

I'm on my second go at brewing. I did some 5 gallon, plastic bucket and carboy extract brews, then had kids and got busy with a career and brewing dropped off for about 20 years. Wow, time flies...

With more free time (thanks, Covid), and kids getting more independent, I decided to get back going.

I used craigslist and got stuff from people that had upgraded and got me started. Then I picked up a used tower, some more kettles, and kegging stuff. Plus a mill. Now I'm about a half dozen kegs in this go around. Two of those were all grain, which was a big step for me.

Thanks for letting me join, and for all the great information you've gathered here.

nguns.gif

Welcome! :mug:

Thanks! Any great tips or must try recipes for me? I'm in a bit of an ipa/double ipa rut with only one Belgian quad to break the tedium. Don't get me wrong, I love ipas (esp west coast style) but am looking for interesting alternatives.

i was on a french dip craze a few weeks ago....don't get me wrong french dips are good, but you know.....lol

my go to easy brew is brown ales......i'm not that good a brewer, but i don't necessarily need a porter....

IPA? Brown...if i was throwing together a recipe for a 10 gallon batch, off the top of my head....(i'm simple keep in mind)

20lb's pale malt
1lb crystal 40L
4oz's Black Patent
2oz's Roast barley

some high AA hop for a 60 minute boil, and a dry hop addition.....(i'm not familiar with different additions at cooling temps)

but that's just my taste.....

A solid stout recipe is always nice to have around
70-75% pale malt
10-12% dark roasted malt
5-8% 60L-120L crystal malts
5-10% flaked or malted adjunct grains (wheat, oats, barley)

if you check out the recipe threads On HBT you’ll definitely find something that Peaks your interest.

Welcome back to the obsession!

You have to a wheat beer on tap!

40% Maris Otter or Two Row
40% Wheat Malt
8% Munich
6% Flaked Wheat

Hops of your choosing to get 20-30 IBUS

WYEAST 1010, S-04 or Kolsch Yeast and you can't go wrong!

Welcome! I am also across the river in the Upper Valley area in NH! Have fun brewing!

Where do you get supplies? I am hoping to find a closer brick & Morter store for those quick last minute supplies I also forget to order.
Happy Brewin!

Thanks. We have Vermont Homebrew Supply in Winooski that is fairly local to me. I've purchased brewing supplies there, and I try to buy all of my liquid yeast there. Even in Covid times, they are open for window service and you can call ahead and pay for things. I like going there so I can chat with the staff, since I learn something every time I speak with them. It's nice to speak with other home brewers. I've bought a lot of kits from MoreBeer! and Austin Homebrew Supply, but now that I have a few batches under my belt, am doing all grain and can mill my own grain, I think I'll try for some volume buys on grains and hops and use my own recipes.

Last edited:
Back