Hi from Tennessee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sTango

Dunwich Brewing Co.
Reaction score
Hi all,
Greetings from the Nashville area. I've been brewing extract kits for about 5 years now. I bottled in the beginning, but now I keg. I mostly use brewers best kits and have had pretty good results with them. Anyone have any recommendations for other LME kits that are better, but still just take a couple of hours?

I currently have a batch of English Brown Ale that I have added extra honey to finishing its primary in a couple of days. I will be bottling that batch in quart flip tops for taking down to the Daytona 500 early next year.

Also primary right now is their Irish stout, and kegged is their Robust Porter that I have added honey to as well.

I've never had this many batches working at the same time. This weekend I am planning on brewing my other English Brown Ale kit because I am interested in starting to age these ales longer, in the extra carboys that I have. I've been told that they should be aged like that for only up to 3 months because they arent really strong enough for longer aging. Does this seem accurate?
I know this is for intro's but I appreciate any comments.

Anyway, I have a deep interest in all things ale. At this point im not really interested in mashing, or lagering for that matter. Although making mead does really intrigue me.

Is there really a huge difference between the results from extract kits and making it old school? If not, then I'll stick with the lme's.

This is gonna sound weird but I really like the historical feel of doing it myself. In other words I would be really interested to see what the ales of 200 years ago tasted like, with their wild yeast imperfections and their less than sanitary methods. Would they even taste good?

I am intrigued as well by lambic style, although this could end up going really wrong i'm sure. Have you tasted Sam Adams cranberry lambic (hope I dont offend anyone) but YUK. But also, i tasted before I knew what to expect. I have one more bottle, so maybe I'll sit down with it and actually explore the flavors a little bit more.

Anyway, thats me. I have been lurking on the forums for a bit and thought I should introduce myself.

Anyone from middle tennesee out there?

-- John

Hey there! Welcome!

There are a couple of us on here from Nashville, and we're all pretty friendly, so feel free to ask us some questions.

As for that Sam "Lambic," I don't think it's really a lambic in the true sense of the style. It is pretty terrible though.

Back