Hi all

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidmeatball

Reaction score
My lovely fiancee was kind enough to buy me a whole starter kit for my birthday a few weeks ago and I'm loving the hobby so far.

Our local store stocks the Brew House kits and I'm quite pleased with the results going into the bottle. My girl knows me well, so she picked up the pilsner kit. I'm actually very shocked at how clear the beer is though it is not as golden as a store bought, and what I expected. It's a more full, deep colour than the pale gold from the cheap stuff I usually get. It does have a slightly boozy taste that I'm hoping will ease up a bit with some age. I've still got a couple weeks in the bottle before it is ready and I really can't wait.

Started a second kit from brew house, the last cream ale my local will get as they are no longer manufacturing it. I put it together a few days ago using a Wyeast 1007 German Ale yeast. My thinking is the German Ale yeast has a lower temperature range (55-65f) for proper fermentation activity and my cold room is, well, cold. Around 60f if I leave the heat off and around 63-65f with the heat on. It smells lovely in there with the yeast happily yeasting away. Its got a very lemony kind of aroma. I'm quite excited to try it. I'm kind of humming and hawing about maybe a subtle dry hop after another week or so. I sort of want to get a baseline so to speak before trying all sorts of things. But then, I want it to taste a certain way. Patience. One thing at a time.

I'm thinking I'd like to do a stout next, or maybe a brown ale. I'd like to eventually get into full scratch all grain brewing. I found a nice propane burner setup at a local outdoor shop. A 30qt turkey fryer for $125 I think. Not so sure I'm ready to go outside to cook though, still looking at -10c and I fully expect another dump of snow before this winter is over.

Enough about my beer, who am I?

Born and raised in North Vancouver BC, my fiancee and I have just moved to Calgary AB for work. I currently work as a water filtration technician and coffee delivery. Been at this job for about six years. Before that I was a chef at a chain restaurant. All this gives me a great handle on a lot of the technical stuff wrt brewing. You know, safe food handling, critical control points, water treatment science. And my experience as a cook, and now a coffee provider, I've got a bit of a knowledgeable palette. I should add: as a cook at a restaurant I have gained a passion for beer.:cross:

I've studied fine art in college and promptly switched gears to pursue independent film. That was a heap of fun. We did a few features and had a small success but kids came into my life and took away all my spare time. Now I'm teaching myself to play guitar.:rockin:

Congrats on your 2nd batch.

I think your experience as a chef is going to help you tons in this hobby.

Off subject, got any tips for Rissoto?

Good stock, patience, and taste taste taste.:) That advice might apply to any dish.

I'm sure it would, the reason I ask is I've had a lot better luck with regular ole brown rice than I have with Auborio. Maybe I just like brown rice better in general?

My brother in law swears you have to use arborio rice. I never have it in the pantry. I use basmati pretty much exclusively and it turns out great.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back