HHEEEEEELLPP,!! Bottling problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBUDGO

Reaction score
I'm filling into Belgian 750 Mel's and my brew shop sold me a larger cap bell. Just the metal bell and it screws into the capper. Which it did fine. But the bottom of the caps won't crimp under. Aaah!

All my bottles are washed. Beer is in the bottling bucket. I have 3 bottles filled and can't cap Em. I have a couple of grolssh type caps and bottles
1. can I pour from one bottle to another and cap it. Cleaned bottles of course.
2. Can I pour the beer back into the bottling bucket and seal it up until I get my 12 ounce bottles ready?

I can put the lid and airlock of the plastic bucket for a day or so..
Thanks for your FAST advice

Were it me I'd likely attempt at pouring back into the bottling bucket to disperse any oxidation, and the put a lid on the bucket as I sanitized regular bottles.

Be sure to do what you can to limit oxidation by tilting the bucket and beer similar to the initial pour into a glass.

If you have diluted your priming solution into your beer I'd say you ought to bottle today. And if you can't, allow it to ferment for maybe 2-3 days and then trying again.

Yes I already have the priming sugar in there SOS I better go for it with the bottles I have. Thanks
Crap!! What a pain this was. All the 750s are washed. None of my 12s are washed. This will take an hour or so And I don't have enough 12s. Oh well.

By washed do you mean sanitized? If they were rinsed well just after outing they may not need being washed too.

Do what you can I suppose. I'm guessing you don't have enough 12 oz bottles and flip tops? If not maybe you can try a thick glass growler (flip top style)… Maybe leave a little extra head space to make sure?

Bottle what you can successfully cap & start drinking the rest. Might I suggest a straw?
I'm a problem solver

I like the straw idea. I didn't have enough 12oz bottles. But I kept on going instead of covering the bucket for a couple of days. Ugh
I ended up with some in a growler with a screw cap. I tourqued it on the best I could. We will see what happen.
This was for a wedding so I'll try to slap another batch together with the right Caps. And yes always sanitized. Up til 2am.

Thanks

Keep the growlers out of the way of people and pets. Most say they can't take the pressure of carbonation. I've never tried so I'm not sure.

Agree with the growler bombs.

The general consensus is that they cannot handle the pressure of carbonation as mentioned above.

I'm a simple man and take this as good advice because I would not want to create an explosion of glass of that magnitude.

If it were me, I would move those growler bombs far from where they could hurt anyone or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Good point on the growlers. I have a cool area in my garage for my bottles but I'll throw the growler in a plastic bin and wait it out.

If it's only one growler, put it in a 5 gallon pail and fill it with water. IIRC, that will increase the pressure on the outside of the growler to roughly double ambient. Worst case, it explodes anyway; best case, it would have exploded but the water helped just enough to keep that from happening. It will also keep the temp fluctuations down and probably carb faster. I'd leave it in the water for 3 weeks to give the beer time to carb and the CO2 time to get into solution. When you think its ready, pour ice into your bucket to cool the system. After it melts, put the growler in the fridge.

Note - I've never tried this or even heard of it. But it makes sense to me.

If it's only one growler, put it in a 5 gallon pail and fill it with water. IIRC, that will increase the pressure on the outside of the growler to roughly double ambient. Worst case, it explodes anyway; best case, it would have exploded but the water helped just enough to keep that from happening. It will also keep the temp fluctuations down and probably carb faster. I'd leave it in the water for 3 weeks to give the beer time to carb and the CO2 time to get into solution. When you think its ready, pour ice into your bucket to cool the system. After it melts, put the growler in the fridge.

Note - I've never tried this or even heard of it. But it makes sense to me.

Serious science genius idea.

I've certainly heard how growlers can become bombs, and it's obviously true, but I have a friend who has been bottling in his for 5+ years along with Fischer's and Grolsch bottles.

I'm not sure, but I'd venture to guess it's how thick the glass is where the indentions are for the swing top, but I do not know. Maybe some are stronger?

I've never bottled in my growlers, but then again I enjoy filling them up with stuff I generally cannot find...

Back