hey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hbrew01

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm going to start brewing soon. I was looking at the second cheapest kit on mrbeer.com, and was wondering if that's worth buying? Also I was wondering how I'd go from the beer that comes with the kit to brewing name brand ones along with fruit beers etc?

Thanks for the help in advance

In all honesty, the mr beer kit I got was unimpressive. You should look at mr beer kits as cheap introduction to brewing toys, not serious beer making equipment. If you go cheap you can probably put together a "real" brewing kit for not too much more. Here's what you need:

primary fermenter 5 gal or larger $15 (what I paid for my last one)
Bottling bucket $20 (could probably find one cheaper)
airlocks $2
siphon tubing and equipment ~$10 (You want some flexible tubing, a racking cane, and a bottle filler/wand)
Bottle capper and caps $20
You also need bottles. I'd just grab ones that were going to recycling and wash them. Make sure they aren't twist off.

I assume you have a decent sized pot so I'll leave that out. It doesn't come with Mr beer eaither so either way it doesn't factor into the comparison.

you are looking at less than $70 to put together a kit that will really serve you better than the $50 Mr beer setup. expect ~$30 a kit for basic homebrew kits of 5 gallons (about 2 cases, have 60 bottles available just to make sure you don't run out before you are done bottling)

In other words, you can probably get to your first batch with a full sized setup for under $100.

I would just much rather the kit as it seems like a much simpler, easier way of brewing, I don't know anything on this topic though so I may be wrong.
How much work would it be for me to brew one 2 gallon batch of beer from the mrbeer kit?

I would spend a little more for better start up equipment from your local store or one of the online vendors. You will be better served in the long run.

$50 total since they include the first kit. As someone who's brewed with both, they are both the same effort. Steps are:

steep any specialty grains you are using (can be skiped if not using specialty grains)
disolve extracts over low to medium heat
boil and add hops as directe din recipe
allow to cool to 80 degrees or less. Cover pot while cooling to guard against contamination
dump in fermenter and toss in yeast
wait 1-2 weeks
Bottle
wait 1-2 weeks
drink

This is going to be the same with Mr. Beer or a real setup. Mr beer is great if you aren't sure if you want to brew or not. If you're more than 50% sure you want to brew, skip it and jump right to a full kit though. Just about no one stops at a Mr. beer kit. It's like the toy drum set you get as a kid. Your parents only got it to see if you would still be interested in playing a year later.

I only intend to brew once or twiice which is why I just wanna go with the kit. In non-brewing terms, what do I have to so? I'm sorry but I did not understand most of what you said. If I go with mr beer, can I ferment it in the keg it comes in? If not what do I use?

Thanks

If you are going to brew only once or twice, is it really worth the investment? Mr. Beer kits are actually pretty expensive for what it is. If you are only going to use it a couple of times, then I would take the money you were going to spend and go buy some really great commerical beer. If you really want to brew, then go for it. Many of us here started with a Mr. Beer and moved on. Check out the Mr. Beer sticky at the top of the page. Lots of good info there!

go ahead and buy the Mr. beer kit you'll get hooked and soon will be upgrading your equipment.

If you are thinking you will only do one or two batches, go ahead and get the mr beer setup.

If you are going to brew only once or twice, is it really worth the investment? Mr. Beer kits are actually pretty expensive for what it is. If you are only going to use it a couple of times, then I would take the money you were going to spend and go buy some really great commerical beer. If you really want to brew, then go for it. Many of us here started with a Mr. Beer and moved on. Check out the Mr. Beer sticky at the top of the page. Lots of good info there!

+1

If you are only gonna brew once or twice, there's no point. So either embrace the hobby and pick up a decent kit, or take the money to your local good beer store and enjoy some great commercial beer. No reason to half-ass it, since if you start brewing, in all likelihood you will love it.:mug:

I'd say go with the mr beer, if you only want to try brewing a couple of batches. If you think that you might want to advance in the hobby, I'd say spend about $100. Check out the Cooper's kit. It's pretty much as easy as Mr. Beer, but you get equipment which can make up to 6 gal batches, instead of two. Almost everything in the home brew world is setup for a 5 Gal. batch size. If you find a recipie online you want to try, chances are that it will be for a 5 gal. batch of beer. Same with recipes in books. Most of the ingredient kits that are sold are for 5 gallons. Kegging equiptment used by home brewers is for 5 gal.

dude mr. beer will make ok beer and if u like the hobby you will just be starting over again with real brewing equipment and spending more money. Your better off spending a little more and buying a kit from a homebrew shop locally or online, most of them come with a free beer kit of your choice. You will make way more beer per batch and if you decide you dont like the hobby you can sell the whole kit on craigslist for a good buck. Trust us you will be glad you didnt get the Mr. Beer Kit.

mr. beer kits make pretty substandard beer, you will be MUCH happier with the beer you brew if you make a minimal investment in some real equipment. a partial mash kit from your local home brew shop is your best bet to make some great beer.

My first couple of batches were indeed with Mr Beer, one caveat however. I bought (only) the refill kit from a local booze purveyor (or you can purchase from Mr Beer online). I then purchased a 2.5 gallon glass jar to ferment in. Well, now that jar is being used as a mead fermenter. Not so sure the plastic Mr Beer "keg" is going to be in it for the long haul and be as useful or versatile as a glass fermenter. Needless to say, I have only purchased that one item from Mr Beer and have since moved on to better and bigger things, this hobby seems to have that effect on folks....:mug:

If you don't want to spend bigger immediately and you're not sure you want to get into anything heavy, go with the Mr. Beer - it's a fine 2-2.5 gallon fermenter , it can make perfectly drinkable beer, and even if you get into more involved brewing there might be recipes you want in smaller amounts so it's not like you're throwing money away. Two points there, though: either replace the booster with a second can of Mr. Beer LME, or a pound of DME from a brewing supply store. The standard recipe has way too much corn sugar to be of much quality. Also, give at least twice as long as the recipes say to ferment: it might be done in a week, but it will taste better if bottled after 2-4.

That said, if you're willing to kick in a bit more, go with what the others are saying and get a full kit. It's more useful if you stay in the hobby, and probably has better resale value on Craigslist if you don't.

Back