Hey I used pasteur Champagne

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregg Meyer

Reaction score
yes I used that to ferment my first batch ever of Ed worts Apfelwein.

I am also an airlock sniffer and the 5 gal batch i am nursing along is now
@ 3 weeks 1 day. i have never had the stinky smells you guys have written about thank Gaaaawwwdddd. Any way It is pretty and really slowing down. Was the Pasteur yeast a mistake??? i had it extra from some wine i made last year. I thought what the heck give it a go. it is just now starting to clear up and the bubbles are extrememly fine and decreasing by the day. i will test the Gravity @ 4 weeks, that's next weekend.

I have used Pasteur yeast on three occcasions, the only thing I have noticed is that the initial fermentaion is a bit difficult to get going. even after making a yeast starter on a stir plate. I overcame this by repitching yeast after a very long aeration with a air stone. Three days later it is going great guns. This is because fruit juice have very little nutrient for yeast... next time I will use more yeast nutrient in the starter.

Does the pasteur yeast make for a good tasting product? I have never had applewine. Sounds pretty good though. Fill me in.

Does the pasteur yeast make for a good tasting product? I have never had applewine. Sounds pretty good though. Fill me in.

I have used pasteur Champagne yeast on 3 batches and they all came out fine. i guess the rule of thumb you'll get from everyone here is the longer you wait the better it will taste. For me the longest I have waited so far before drinking is six weeks. Albeit I have a batch of apple wine that I used molasses in that is going on month three and still has not completely cleared but it has a really high ABV. The plan is to bottle it after six months then open them in late sept early oct this year which will put it at almost a year old.

I am using pasteur champagne yeast right now in a 5 gal batch using local cider, 5 3/4# lima bean honey, when I racked it I put it on to 3 oz. light toast French oak and 1 oz. light toast American oak. It tastes great. Give it some time...no worries.

I am thinking about killing the yeast right before bottling and adding concentrate frozen thawed out first of course to make it taste more apple and then just add sprit or 7 up to the glass when I want to make it bubbly. This way I think it would be still and I could use wine bottles to store it also with out fear of bottle bombs. What do you guys think???

I am thinking about killing the yeast right before bottling and adding concentrate frozen thawed out first of course to make it taste more apple and then just add sprit or 7 up to the glass when I want to make it bubbly. This way I think it would be still and I could use wine bottles to store it also with out fear of bottle bombs. What do you guys think???

I wouldn't do that - adding sprite or 7 up to a fine home brew beverage is something of a sin.

I would try backsweetening to taste with Lactose or Splenda, and for additional apple flavor - 16 ounces apple concentrate (mixed into a 5 gallon batch this serves well as carbing sugar.) however whatever you choose to do, I STRONGLY reccomend you bottle a sixpack carbed but unsweetened, forget it exists, - and revisit in 3-4 months guarranteed the apple flavor will be there, and be crisp, dry and deliciously quenching served ice cold on a hot day.

Ok I will do that, the patients thing for me is no big deal. I built a liebfraumulch (wine) over a year ago and am now just thinking about drinking some. So i can wait. I appreciate the help you all give.

Yeah, I agree with Snuff. Time heals all wounds. If you are truly interested in retaining sweet properties as well as apple flavor, I recommend the use of Safale 04 yeast in future batches. the stuff is amazing. Furthermore, I would never dream of adding soda or even an artificial sweetener to my brew, but thats just me. i feel to attached to my craft to alter it in the end...it seems spiteful in some way. its like when people have infant babies and they go and get their ears pierced because they think it will be cute. Bad example, maybe, but it makes sense to me for some reason.

I understand you, but there's always a but. How do you suggest I politically correctly add sweetness to the really dry apple wine this might become? I want it to be sweet not dry. I didn't peirce my babies ears either. It's up to them when they know what it is. Both my kids decided against it. i am hoping this stuff gets sweet and appleyyyyy :)))

I understand you, but there's always a but. How do you suggest I politically correctly add sweetness to the really dry apple wine this might become? I want it to be sweet not dry. I didn't peirce my babies ears either. It's up to them when they know what it is. Both my kids decided against it. i am hoping this stuff gets sweet and appleyyyyy :))) I will leacve it alone for a long time for it to do it's own thing.

perhaps you can backsweeten with lactose? that'll allow you to bottle carb(with an apropreate fermentable) AND backsweeten with something that wasn't synthesized in a lab. ( I don't "do" artificial sweetners - I'll drink warm water or go thirsty before I'd drink a frosty cold diet soda... can't stand the taste of those "fake" sweeteners)

ya either that or cold crash it before it is done to retain some level of original sugar, then campden it. that is somewhat of an intuitive move, though. either that or learn to appreciate the dry type of apple wine you've created with a wine yeast and just use an ale yeast next time, particularly safale 04.

ya either that or cold crash it before it is done to retain some level of original sugar, then campden it. that is somewhat of an intuitive move, though. either that or learn to appreciate the dry type of apple wine you've created with a wine yeast and just use an ale yeast next time, particularly safale 04.

If he cold crashes it then Campdens it, won't that make it impossible to Bottle carb it? (please Help a noob out with my dumb question: I thought, if you whack the yeast - then no go on bottle carbing? )

Back