Hey Could You Help a Grad Student?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Studentdeleon

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

My name is Juan and as stated in the topic, l am a grad student and come asking for help on two fronts. Part A. l have been brewing apple wine for over 2 years now and random batches come out with a hint of acetone, my guess is too hot when l ferment? Pretty sure O2 is not getting in my container. Currently, l do not have a temp control system because of money. Any easy fixes for this or ways to determine what is causing the flavor change?

Part B. ln our class we are doing a hobby assignment. l needed to join a forum/ community around my hobby, l chose homebrew, and to speak with like-minded individuals and see how your journey compares with mine. Would anyone be willing to have a 5-10 min zoom meeting with me/ my group, whichever you feel comfortable with, the camera does not need to be on, just verbal would perfect.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Juan and as stated in the topic, l am a grad student and come asking for help on two fronts. Part A. l have been brewing apple wine for over 2 years now and random batches come out with a hint of acetone, my guess is too hot when l ferment? Pretty sure O2 is not getting in my container. Currently, l do not have a temp control system because of money. Any easy fixes for this or ways to determine what is causing the flavor change?

Part B. ln our class we are doing a hobby assignment. l needed to join a forum/ community around my hobby, l chose homebrew, and to speak with like-minded individuals and see how your journey compares with mine. Would anyone be willing to have a 5-10 min zoom meeting with me/ my group, whichever you feel comfortable with, the camera does not need to be on, just verbal would perfect.

I can help with b if you’re interested. What grad program are you studying

I can help with b if you’re interested. What grad program are you studying
I would absolutely love that. l am in VCU's Master's Product of Innovation program. Simply put it integrates arts, business and engineering principles so that we can learn advanced product innovation and entrepreneurship topics, so going from idea, to concept, to prototype, to company. What time would be best for you?

I would absolutely love that. l am in VCU's Master's Product of Innovation program. Simply put it integrates arts, business and engineering principles so that we can learn advanced product innovation and entrepreneurship topics, so going from idea, to concept, to prototype, to company. What time would be best for you?
Mainly evenings after 8pm EST would work best for me

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

Before I started using a fridge as my fermentation chamber, I would ferment in the basement where it's cool, and put the fermenter in one of those big rope handle tubs, and fill the tub with water. The extra water would help diffuse the fermentation heat and keep the temp steady.

Before I started using a fridge as my fermentation chamber, I would ferment in the basement where it's cool, and put the fermenter in one of those big rope handle tubs, and fill the tub with water. The extra water would help diffuse the fermentation heat and keep the temp steady.

OMG thank you! Did you add cold water, room temp, or warm temp water? Do you change the water periodically? l live in an area that has all the seasons so should l try to keep it warm or something like that during the winter and vice versa during summer?

OMG thank you! Did you add cold water, room temp, or warm temp water? Do you change the water periodically? l live in an area that has all the seasons so should l try to keep it warm or something like that during the winter and vice versa during summer?
You probably want cold water. For many yeasts the ideal temperature is in the low to mid 60's F. Fermentation generates heat, so you usually need to think about cooling, unless the room temp is below 55 - 60°F. You can add frozen water bottles to the water bath to cool if needed. Placing a wet "T" shirt or towel around the fermenter can also give you some evaporative cooling.

You also might consider using a Kveik yeast, which is better at avoiding off flavors when fermented warm.

Brew on :mug:

My basement is 60ish in the winter and 65ish in the summer. I filled with cold water from the tap but it comes to room temp fairly quickly. 5 gallon ferment with 10+ gallons in the tub, it never needed cooling beyond ambient temperatures.
I also realized that I could use my sous vide to bring the temp up some if I wanted to. Worked great.

My basement is 60ish in the winter and 65ish in the summer. I filled with cold water from the tap but it comes to room temp fairly quickly. 5 gallon ferment with 10+ gallons in the tub, it never needed cooling beyond ambient temperatures.
I also realized that I could use my sous vide to bring the temp up some if I wanted to. Worked great.
Changed the water every batch of beer so it didn't get funky

fwiw, the classic fermentor-in-a-tub methods include freezing water-filled soda bottles and tossing them in the tub as needed to keep the yeast on a leash...

Cheers!

Found an old picture:

Attachments

• 20160523_213523.jpg
    20160523_213523.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
Back