Hey beer nerds, judges and cicerones, don't be a beer snob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like homebrewers. I tend to steer clear of "beer geeks" who are NOT homebrewers. This is why.

You know, this is a fantastic quote. In my few years of homebrewing with friends and in group brews, home brewers are a humble bunch with great attitudes as it comes towards beer. I've only met one homebrewer that has come across as a snob (it was at a party of beer enthusiasts and he was just railing local commercial brew after local commercial brew until the point that everyone pretty much walked away). I didn't realize this until you just got me thinking about it.

Today's object lesson: don't be "that guy".

In fact, almost every social lesson worth learning is more or less "don't be that guy".

I'm the one with the squinty eyes and thick beard.
Not the one with the curly mustache and round spectacles ---> :fro:

You know, this is a fantastic quote. In my few years of homebrewing with friends and in group brews, home brewers are a humble bunch with great attitudes as it comes towards beer. I've only met one homebrewer that has come across as a snob (it was at a party of beer enthusiasts and he was just railing local commercial brew after local commercial brew until the point that everyone pretty much walked away). I didn't realize this until you just got me thinking about it.

This reminds me of something...

One of my former coworkers is a homebrewer, so I cajoled him into joining our homebrew club. One day we all do a big beer tasting event as a club. Basically everyone at the event was a homebrewer, *except* my buddy's roommate, who was a consummate beer snob.

Good times. We had some amazing things, like verticals of Black Tuesday, Parabola, and even the Trader Joe's Vintage Ale.

As a joke, I had bought a 12-pack of Bud Black Crown lager, as it was new at the time and I wanted to taste it anyway. We had a quick tasting of it before we got to the good beers, and honestly the homebrewers were complimentary of Black Crown. While I haven't bought it since, it's actually a pretty tasty beer. Incidentally, it made a repeat appearance during the meal, as Black Crown lager goes much better with pulled pork and spicy cole slaw than Black Tuesday!

There was one guy at the event who refused to even taste the Black Crown... You guessed it, the non-homebrewer beer snob.

Wheaton’s Law: Don't be a dick. It should be the last class you take before you graduate from high school. The world would be better for it.

Reminds me of something written on the bathroom wall at my school: "If you don't know who the class jerk is after the first week of class, it's probably you."

Back