Hey All!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hostileNabusive

Reaction score
Hi guys, my name is Dan and I'm from Grand Forks, ND. After convincing my parents to buy me a homebrew kit for my 21st birthday (the 11th of March) I am excited to start brewing! I've been following this site for a bit now and it looks like a really great community, cheers!

I'm trying to decide that now, it's how I'm procrastinating organic chemistry. I would love some suggestions for a good first brew.

Also, how big of a brewing pot should I use? Palmer says bigger than 4 gallons, is that right or could I maybe get by with a 3? My roommate has one and if I could avoid spending more money...

I assume you're starting with extract with steeping grains so 3 gallons is just fine. Do a search on here for the 'late extract addition' method, that will help you take full advantage of the smaller pot.

As for which brew, that's a tough one since we don't know what you like to drink. You can't go wrong with a nice basic pale ale though. There are tons of recipes in the recipe database. If you see one you like but it's not an extract recipe, just ask for help converting it, lots of people would be glad to help!

Any average gravity beer (of which a Scottish light definitely applies) is perfectly fine for a beginner. About the only things you will want to steer clear of at first are lagers and high gravity ales (barleywines, tripels, etc).

Greetings from up north in New York Mills--err down south--black dog ale from midwest is also a good one--lots of compliments, but who doesn't compliment free beer

Good to hear from another on the frigid tundra! Are you enjoying this 45-50 degree weather as much as I am?! Haha.

Anyhow, obviously Upnorth you're a little closer to the cities than I am but how long has it taken to get your orders from midwest? I ordered on Mon. and am hoping to get my recipe kit by this weekend so I can have my first brew day when I'm not too busy with other stuff....

I ordered an oatmeal stout extract kit (moving to all grain after 2 more batches) on Monday, received yesterday (thursday). 3 days has been the norm for me. Really like the freshness of yeast I've been getting also--lots of people mention older yeast in there kits--the oatmeal stout kit yeast was packed on 3/28/08. With any luck, I'd guess you got yours yesterday or today too- Good luck with the 5 gal batch!!

Latest posts

Back