HERMS Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven9026

Reaction score
Could you take a plate chiller and close off the water inlet and outlets and pump your wort through it to make a HERMS unit? I was thinking this would be more compact for doing a 5 gallon HERMS setup.

Could you take a plate chiller and close off the water inlet and outlets and pump your wort through it to make a HERMS unit? I was thinking this would be more compact for doing a 5 gallon HERMS setup.

I'm not picturing how it would be a heat exchanger if the outlets were closed off. Can you elaborate a bit on how it would work?

You would pump the WORT through the plate chiller just like you do when cooling it.. Except the chiller would be inside the HLT and heated to the MASH temp..

It may also take a little longer to get it up to temps. than a copper coil..

A plate chiller may be more compact than a copper IC, but they both would still fit in a 5 gallon HLT, wouldn't they?

I guess I'm trying to see the advantage here, and I must be missing it. The copper coil is cheaper, more efficient (better heat transfer), and very lightweight.

I was wondering how efficient it would be.. It was an idea,. I just thought the little box chiller sitting in the HLT would look a little neater than the copper coil.. It's no big deal.. The money part didn't matter, but since the copper will be more efficient, that is the way to go..

If you had 2 pumps i think it would work fine. just asked the same? But why put it in the HLT, Just leave it where it is.

Latest posts

Back