Herms control question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hermsfun

Reaction score
I have been running my herms system for 5 batches or so and have been tweaking and adjusting my process each time. I control the output of my heat exchanger output with a temperature controller that cycles the burner underneath my hlt. The question is what happens when I go to ramp from say protein to sacc and my heat exchanger output exceeds mash out temps. Am I killing off my enzyme activity early!? I haven't been checking for conversion just mashing for and hour and then taking it to 168. If I limit my output to sub mash out temps I have to ramp for a year. Any thoughts?

I have been running my herms system for 5 batches or so and have been tweaking and adjusting my process each time. I control the output of my heat exchanger output with a temperature controller that cycles the burner underneath my hlt. The question is what happens when I go to ramp from say protein to sacc and my heat exchanger output exceeds mash out temps. Am I killing off my enzyme activity early!? I haven't been checking for conversion just mashing for and hour and then taking it to 168. If I limit my output to sub mash out temps I have to ramp for a year. Any thoughts?

Your heat exchanger output shouldn't exceed mash out temps, if you have it set right. Have you taken the temperature of the wort coming out of the HEX and going back into the MLT? I have, and it's three degrees cooler than the water in my HLT. When I ramp, I ramp to 173 for mash out temps.

If you're going from a protein rest to a sacc rest and you're exceeding 160 degrees, then yes, you'd be denaturing your enzymes before you "use" them.

Back