Here's my stupid question about ball locks,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalc6927

Reaction score
How do you relieve the pressure when starting the carbonation process?

Do I fill it, remove fitting and press down on the valva and repeat?

Or is there a tool to relieve pressure from the valve on the cover?

Probably covered 100's of times but I'm pulling out the newbie card

Thanks

How do you relieve the pressure when starting the carbonation process?

Do I fill it, remove fitting and press down on the valva and repeat?

Or is there a tool to relieve pressure from the valve on the cover?

Probably covered 100's of times but I'm pulling out the newbie card

Thanks

Do you not have a pressure release valve on the top? If you don't, that sure makes it trickier, but if you do, you just pull that valve. Can you show us a picture of the keg you have, so then we can tell you exactly?

I have them on the pin lock, but not the ball lock

Are the covers interchangeable

Ball locks have a spring loaded pressure relief valve built into the lid. Pulling the metal ring on the valve opens it.

For kegs that do not have a manually activated P-R valve, you will need to remove the gas disconnect and press the poppet down with a screwdriver or similar tool. You can also buy a purge tool that fits the post like a disconnect (pin lock only), but you still have to remove the gas disconnect to use it. Another option is to replace the lid with a new one that has a P-R valve.

Why not just have a second gas disconnect with no gas tube on it and connect it to relieve pressure? Id rather do that then jab a screw driver into the poppet.

Thanks

Are the lids interchangeable between the 2 styles

As previously mentioned, yes. As long as it's not a super-wide mouth. I've seen where you can order those lids. Sometimes you can update the pin-lock lids and replace the automatic PRV with a manual-capable PRV as well.

Thumb nails work in place of screwdrivers. Pen tops .. etc. When you have a few extra pennies get a new lid with a PR valve. Kegconnection has them.

Back