Helping Hand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirFix-A-Lot

Reaction score
I found Homebrew Talk by searching for Kegarator repair literature. My default search engine is DuckDuckGo. One of my friends has a Kegco kegerator which is malfunctioning and he asked me to help fix it since i work on air conditioners. After reading some very poorly translated documentation, I called Beverage Factory. They advised me that they had no technician available at the moment. I later e-mailed them asking specific questions about the kegerator after I did some testing of the temperature and defrost sensors. Again, I was advised that they had no technicians available, but they would have the product manager contact me. That was at least a week ago. So I'm looking for service literature for kegerators, specifically the KegCo hs-309. Since the error displayed is E4, I am advised that it is related to the defrost sensor. I queried regarding how to test the defrost sensor. I also asked for a temperature/resistance chart for the thermistor and I asked if I could get a service manual. No response. If there is anyone who has any information on the KegCo HS309, specifically a service manual or can advise how the defrost algorithms work, I'd very much appreciate that information. I am aware of several Chinese temperature controllers that can be purchased on eBay and Amazon, but these do not have defrost capabilities.

I suspect that most of the available kegerators are made in China. My experiance with Chinese dehumidifiers is that they last about a year to 2 years before there is an electrical malfunction or the refrigerant leaks out of the poorly constructed coils. Considering the hourly rate for a refrigeration technician, dehumidifiers are usually not worth fixing. What ever happened to reliable American products.

I have not tried to brew beer since college about 50 years ago.

I found Homebrew Talk by searching for Kegarator repair literature. My default search engine is DuckDuckGo. One of my friends has a Kegco kegerator which is malfunctioning and he asked me to help fix it since i work on air conditioners. After reading some very poorly translated documentation, I called Beverage Factory. They advised me that they had no technician available at the moment. I later e-mailed them asking specific questions about the kegerator after I did some testing of the temperature and defrost sensors. Again, I was advised that they had no technicians available, but they would have the product manager contact me. That was at least a week ago. So I'm looking for service literature for kegerators, specifically the KegCo hs-309. Since the error displayed is E4, I am advised that it is related to the defrost sensor. I queried regarding how to test the defrost sensor. I also asked for a temperature/resistance chart for the thermistor and I asked if I could get a service manual. No response. If there is anyone who has any information on the KegCo HS309, specifically a service manual or can advise how the defrost algorithms work, I'd very much appreciate that information. I am aware of several Chinese temperature controllers that can be purchased on eBay and Amazon, but these do not have defrost capabilities.

I suspect that most of the available kegerators are made in China. My experiance with Chinese dehumidifiers is that they last about a year to 2 years before there is an electrical malfunction or the refrigerant leaks out of the poorly constructed coils. Considering the hourly rate for a refrigeration technician, dehumidifiers are usually not worth fixing. What ever happened to reliable American products.

I have not tried to brew beer since college about 50 years ago.

Welcome! You might get more traction on this if you post in the Bottling/Kegging section:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forums/bottling-kegging.35/
The information and ingredients available for homebrewing have become much better over the last several decades, take a look around and maybe brew up a batch? Or find someone who does and join a brewday with them.

Good Luck!

hmm, this is a shot in the dark, but....

https://www.amazon.com/HH18HA280-Bryant-Replacement-Defrost-Sensor/dp/B00FN59HHE

acording to a thread with the same error code, it's an easy fix?

i tried googling what bran of refrigerator they use to convert to kegerator, but it should have a label, and say it somewhere on it?

this one seems to fit a bunch of brands?

https://www.amazon.com/Thermostat-R...t=&hvlocphy=9030262&hvtargid=pla-783535717649
my 'kegerator' says sears, but it's actually a kenmore.....

Last edited:
Here's the service manual Beverage Factory sent me via email in 2019.

Attachments

• 309 Service Manual.pdf
    664.1 KB · Views: 0
Back