Helping choosing a PWM for pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeirKaiser

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I received bought a pump for my homebrew setup. How does everyone control the speed of the pump? I’ve found so few mini chips with knobs but no idea what to pick.
Stats:
  • Name: Solar Water pump
  • Brushless motor
  • Material: Plastic
  • Color: Black
  • Input/Output: 1/2 "male thead
  • Voltage: 12 V DC
  • Nominal Maximum Current: 1000MA
  • Power: 22 W
  • Max Flow: 800 L/H
  • Max Water Seat: 5 m
  • Max circulation water temperature: 100 ° C

It only has a motor +/- and power +/-, no third wire. Or a brake. No idea what I’m doing 1611343286393.pngDCD8A939-E05A-4C6D-9EB2-0D953008421C.jpeg90F8B6D8-0EF3-439A-AF63-A7D7B5A4D0D4.jpeg09F3B844-F5B6-4FDD-B8C6-32D526C65997.jpeg

It's never occurred to me to try to control my pump's speed. I think most of us put a ball valve on the output of the pump and use it to control the flow coming out of the pump.

It's never occurred to me to try to control my pump's speed. I think most of us put a ball valve on the output of the pump and use it to control the flow coming out of the pump.

I didn’t want to increase the pressure, made more sense to me to lower the motor’s speed to lower the flow rate

Sounds like you need a simple voltage controller (variable resistor) instead of a PWM.

The easiest way to control a relatively low current 12-24V motor is by using a generic analog DC motor speed controller. This type of controller has a potentiometer to vary the speed of the motor. These controllers can be found with a wide range of power ratings.

Back