Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesskenny

Reaction score
I just made my first batch of JOAM, and used 1tsp of red star yeast, my question is should the fermentation be vigorous because I'm only getting about 1bubble a min. Also does everything just set in top or do I need to poke it down once in a while? I understand patience, just want to know if I'm on the right track.

Doing things like this takes time so don't worry about it until at least 24-48 hours after adding the yeast

What temperature did you add the yeast? Might be silly, but worth asking. I added yeast too soon after brewing once and killed the yeast, most of it anyway. Had to re pitch a few days later.

Did you shake it like hell? Maybe not mixed well enough or not enough oxygen.

Is your plug/bung in the bottle tight so it's not leaking?

If it's not bubbling every 4-5 seconds within 24 hrs, there could be something wrong, but not necessarily. Keep updating.

Was the yeast used quick rise or something in the cupboard from 1977? If so, it likely will not ferment. If normal bread yeast and pretty new then I suspect you will be fine as BeeDee suggested let it ride. If its nasty or not finished in a couple months repitch some D47 or Cotes Des Blanc and make it a high octane mead.

Last edited:
Back