help!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotammo

Reaction score
Wife put US-05 dry yeast in freezer when it arrived ups yesterday. Will it be ok I really want to do My first allgrain tomorrow:(

Dry yeast is best in the fridge, not the freezer.

When she put it in there, was it in an envelope or bag or something? Or just in the sachet it came in?

24 hours doesn't sound terribly long, but in a conventional freezer, it is subject to temperature up-and-down spikes, which cause ice crystals and repeated defrosting, which puncture yeast cell walls. But I do not know if this would affect dry yeast.

Well, if it were me, I wouldn't pitch them both just out of the package. I'd rehydrate one tonight with just a little tiny pinch of DME mixed in some warm water. If it foams a little, you're golden. If not, I'd had just the smallest pinch of sugar. If it foams, it's good. If nothing, I'd buy fresh yeast.

23 hours no airlock activity ***BUT*** starting to see particles rotating through the wort and maybe some krausen starting to form. I hope. I sprinkled it directly on the wort. Is us-05 a slower starter than nottingham ?

hotammo said:
23 hours no airlock activity ***BUT*** starting to see particles rotating through the wort and maybe some krausen starting to form. I hope. I sprinkled it directly on the wort. Is us-05 a slower starter than nottingham ?
Not usually. My 08.08.08 started bubbling in a few hours with rehydrated S-05. Thats been my general experience with dry yeast is that they start quickly within the first 12 hours or so. However if the package was old or not entirely viable it may take longer. Give it 2-3 days before worrying too much.

Craig

Latest posts

Back