Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wesd25

Reaction score
so I'm kegging for the first time I hooked the gas up at 8 psi for a pale ale 5 gal batch it's been on gas for over a week, I just hooked up the liquid line and nothing is coming out of the keg? It's a pin lock corny keg I hooked up the gas to the short tube side and liquid to long tube inside of keg, was this right? I just want to sample and can get nothing out please help, thanks.

That is correct. A few things to check...

-Did you hear gas actually go into your keg when you hooked up the line? I sometimes have trouble getting the quick connect to fully engage on the keg.
-Do you still have gas in your tank? If there was a leak in the keg then your CO2 tank will probably be empty by now.
-EDIT: do you have beer being pushed into the tap line? in addition to the CO2 line connection, check the liquid line connection.
-I assume you've made sure that you are pulling the correct tap handle? (we all make stupid mistakes now and then :eek:)

wesd25 said:
so I'm kegging for the first time I hooked the gas up at 8 psi for a pale ale 5 gal batch it's been on gas for over a week, I just hooked up the liquid line and nothing is coming out of the keg? It's a pin lock corny keg I hooked up the gas to the short tube side and liquid to long tube inside of keg, was this right? I just want to sample and can get nothing out please help, thanks.

Does your regulator have a valve and is it open?

jro238 said:
That is correct. A few things to check...

-Did you hear gas actually go into your keg when you hooked up the line? I sometimes have trouble getting the quick connect to fully engage on the keg.
-Do you still have gas in your tank? If there was a leak in the keg then your CO2 tank will probably be empty by now.
-EDIT: do you have beer being pushed into the tap line? in addition to the CO2 line connection, check the liquid line connection.
-I assume you've made sure that you are pulling the correct tap handle? (we all make stupid mistakes now and then :eek:)

Plus one on connections to keg. Will add that I have the same issue with one of my connectors on the liquid side.... Pull your gas relief valve on top of the keg, then if you have pressure, make sure your liquid is all the way engaged.

If none of that works, small chance your liquid dip tube is clogged?

When I turn the co2 all the way up to 30 psi I get a small amount of beer trying to come out of the liquid line, I checked all connections for leaks none to found, what should I try next? I bleed off all the co2 I put in the full to 5psi for serving but just nothing to be served :( here is a pic of my setup

ForumRunner_20131121_112358.png

wesd25 said:
When I turn the co2 all the way up to 30 psi I get a small amount of beer trying to come out of the liquid line, I checked all connections for leaks none to found, what should I try next? I bleed off all the co2 I put in the full to 5psi for serving but just nothing to be served :( here is a pic of my setup

That's the craziest damn thing I've ver seen. The only thing I could possibly think is that your liquid dip tube is clogged, either with a stray hop chunk, or something.

You might try (and I hope someone comes on and says whether or not this is a good idea, cause I've never done it and I don't know if it will break something)... You might try to hook the CO2 up to the liquid out, in hopes of popping any little clot out of the tube, if there's one there.

Again, I would wait for someone to confirm that you are not going to damage anything by doing this, but I don't see what could go wrong. Good luck man, and Godspeed!

You might try (and I hope someone comes on and says whether or not this is a good idea, cause I've never done it and I don't know if it will break something)... You might try to hook the CO2 up to the liquid out, in hopes of popping any little clot out of the tube, if there's one there.

Again, I would wait for someone to confirm that you are not going to damage anything by doing this, but I don't see what could go wrong. Good luck man, and Godspeed!

The posts are not quite the same on ball lock kegs. Not sure about pin locks. If they're not the same, you may have a tough time getting the CO2 coupling to go on the liquid post. If it attaches, you may have one heck of a time taking it off.

I'd yank the keg out, relieve the pressure completely and pull the dip tube to see if it's clogged. It's likely either that our your beer line coupling isn't seated all the way on the liquid post.

Maybe try to spray some sanitizer around the lid to make sure the lid o-ring is sealed properly? Sometimes at low psi like that my lids start to leak gas until I turn up the psi back up to about 15 and reseat the lid again. I would assume this isn't the problem since you would have emptied the tank by now but it can't hurt to check!

Thanks for the replies. Come to find out I had a clogged dip tube, there was a mess of hops sitting right where it was picking up beer from, I transferred beer to carboy, cleaned keg, sanitized, and transferred back to keg, now am enjoying my first kegged home brew! Lesson learned, thanks again for the help to all of you! Cheers!

Back