Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewyourown4life

Reaction score
I'm going to enter some beer at this years Iowa State Fair and had a question about what catagory i should enter my Chocolate Milk Stout. enter it in the stout category as a Sweet Stout or Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer or Specialty Beer?

Look at the guidelines for sweet stout. If they match, I'd go with that. Remember, if it is a BJCP comp, the judges will be looking to match to the style. Plus, I always feel like it;s tough to stand out in specialty categories since you'll be up against all sorts of odd beer. I'd rather compete in a style (says the man making a Rye Imperial Stout with oak and rye whiskey).

BTW, if you have not looked yet, here are the bjcp guidelines: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style13.php

Either way you choose to go - good luck.

if the chocolate is noticeable put it in SHV, otherwise sweet stout

Plus, I always feel like it;s tough to stand out in specialty categories since you'll be up against all sorts of odd beer.

if its a good beer it'll stand out. IME, most SHV and specialty beers have been terrible

with chocolate milk shout you should enter the spice/herb /vegetables.it is very good combination so go for this.i rich taste it made when you add this in a chocolate flavor.

Back