help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beermonster1985

Reaction score
ok so im trying to sort some gear out and my question is not beer related but it will help me establish what i am doing, so im english and i live in chile and ive learnt here to (solderado) soldering to you and me or so i thought, but when looking at the equipment ive been using on english language websites it has the equipment under welding, heres what iv been doing, there is a machine and 2 wires outgoing, 1 clamps on to the metal to form a circuit and the other is a grip that holds a special metal bar thingy that you buy from the hardware shop, and you spark the **** out of this on the joint and presto, is this soldering or welding? if welding what type is it? thanks and sorry for the stupid question:mug:

ok so im trying to sort some gear out and my question is not beer related but it will help me establish what i am doing, so im english and i live in chile and ive learnt here to (solderado) soldering to you and me or so i thought, but when looking at the equipment ive been using on english language websites it has the equipment under welding, heres what iv been doing, there is a machine and 2 wires outgoing, 1 clamps on to the metal to form a circuit and the other is a grip that holds a special metal bar thingy that you buy from the hardware shop, and you spark the **** out of this on the joint and presto, is this soldering or welding? if welding what type is it? thanks and sorry for the stupid question:mug:

thats welding and is ARC WELDING, hope it helps

Yes, it sound like a description of ARC welding. A word on safety is in order here. Use proper eye protection and clothing. Shield bystanders from viewing the arc, particularly children and also pets (dogs and cats etc). Eye damage can happen even at a considerable distance from the work area. I would strongly suggest finding someone experienced in welding to teach you the basics. Take a welding class if you can find one available down your way.

welding is spanish is soldar, this includes all types of joining 2 different metals together. (at least where I am there is no different word for joining copper with a torch to joining steel with a welder.)

thank you great help, would the metal weald sticks be poison if i use it on a boil pot???

No, they would not be poisonous, but the rods must be compatible with the metal that the pot is made from. The kettles should be either aluminum or stainless steel and the rods the same. Ordinary steel welding rod won't work as it will rust and ruin the beer. I'm not sure you can weld stainless steel with plain steel rods at all. Steel rods will not work for aluminum kettles.

Back