Help yeast died

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamk

Reaction score
I'm brewing up a fat tire clone. Grav. Was at 1.053 when I pitch the yeast and it was happy for a few days . I took Grav. And it was 1.03 and let it sit for a few days and took the Grav. Still was at 1.03 . Talk to a local shop said to pitch more yeast so I did and got nothing.
Any info would help .

Kurt

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What is the current temperature of the wort? What yeast did you use for your initial pitch? If it was dry yeast did you rehydrate the yeast? Did you aerate the wort?
What yeast was used for the second pitch? How long has it been since the second pitch and how did you handle the yeast?

Temp of wort has been at 70 I used English ale wyeast both times . I always put plenty of air in the wort. I Alway stanizer the yeast package before using

I put the 2 sec yeast on Thursday afternoon

Thank

Have you checked your hydrometer in plain water, to ensure it's accurate?

Is this an AG or extract batch? If it's AG, what was the mash temperature?

You're not using a refractometer, are you? If you are, toss it aside and grab a hydrometer reading.

Temp of wort has been at 70 I used English ale wyeast both times . I always put plenty of air in the wort. I Alway stanizer the yeast package before using

What is the number designation of the yeast? There are four Wyeast strains that can be considered English or British.

Mash was at 152 for 60 min

This one is a head scratcher, as even without a starter, the OG was low enough that the beer should have been finished. The repitch should have worked as well, as the ABV was/is fairly low.

That grainbill doesn't have a ton of unfermentables, the mash temp was fine, and the fermentation temperature was warm.

I'm at a loss, and still suspect an incorrect hydrometer reading since you had good activity for a couple of days.

If the hydrometer reading is correct, as verified by testing in plain water, then something else happened. Either the mash temperature was MUCH higher than 152, or conversion didn't happen, etc.

Wyeast 1272 (American ale yeast) is a good yeast and should have finished at 1.010-1.012.

Do u think it would be ok to bottle ? It only 3% ach. Which is ok I guess . Do u think it will card up after the prime sugar ? . Or should I clean it up then boil to kill every thing and re pitch? If I do that should I add more sugars to bring it back to 1.053?

Any input is great thanks.

Or should I just dump it and start over .

The problem with your fermentation is most likely under pitching the yeast. The second pitch had no effect because the yeast was going into an alcohol environment which was to much stress for the cell budding process to be effective.

An unlikely solution would be a 1.040 starter of one liter, with 1272, pitched at high krausen. I say this is unlikely because most of the oxygen in the wort has been used up.

A second more likely option to restart the fermentation would be to pitch a neutral dry yeast like SA-05. The yeast would need to be rehydrated. Per cent alcohol in the wort would cause some loss of yeast cells, but with ABV now at 3% no dissolved oxygen would be required. Pitch the rehydrated yeast at the same temperature of the wort if you go this route.

Well I add o2 to it so we will see what happens then I will move your tips thx

When I use the sa-05 how should I rehydrate the yeast ? I never had this issue u before ?

Thanks again I'm learning a lot !!

When I use the sa-05 how should I rehydrate the yeast ? I never had this issue u before ?

Thanks again I'm learning a lot !!

Here is a link to the Fermentis site with the specs on their dry yeasts.
http://www.fermentis.com/brewing/homebrewing/product-range/

To rehydrate use tap water if it is without any chlorine or chloramine. This rules out all municipal water supplies unless Campden is used to clear the water. If you have a private well you're okay. Don't use RO water or distilled water. This causes a problem with osmotic pressure on the cell walls. If you don't have your own well, Campden to treat the water, then plain bottled drinking water is the best choice.

Sprinkle one 11 gram package over the surface of 8 ounces of water. The water should be 6°F, + or -, of 80°F. Let rest for 15 minutes. Over the next 15 minutes periodically stir to get a nice cream. Pitch within one-half hour of rehydration.

Well I add o2 to it so we will see what happens then I will move your tips thx

As was said, don't aerate!

I'm still not sure what is up, and I don't know that repitching will help. I think it did ferment, from your description. There is no reason this beer should be at 1.030, even if it was underpitched.

You did check your hydrometer in plain water and it was 1.000? And your thermometer is 100% accurate, so you know it was mashed at 152?

Back