Help wtih maltodextrin addition and OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwright

Reaction score
Well, I just finished cleaning up from my first all grain batch. It was a blast. things went pretty well. No majory screw ups. I brewed Ed's Robust porter - and it tastes great so far - can't wait for the alcohol and the bubbles.
The problem is when I went to set out the ingredients, there was no maltodextrin (8oz). A quick call to Brewer's Warehouse and it is on its way. I know I can add it later during fermentation (thanks Ed,) but how will this affect my gravity readings - specifically OG. I am really trying to get accurate numbers to help dial in my system. What I want to know is how should I adjust my OG number to account for the late addition. I know this will be an estimate but I'm sure there is a way to calculate a correction.
I ended up with 5 gal (into ferm) @ 1.066 and will add 8 oz mixed into 1 cup.
Did I miss this in Palmer's book?

As always - thanks guys and gals.

jason

Maltodextrin is not fermentable. What may be fermentable is negligible. It only provides mouthfeel or thickness to your beer. With 8 oz addition, I'd expect your FG and OG would be slightly increased. You'll probably hit 1.067. I love that recipe. Try to hold off at least six weeks after bottling or kegging to really appriciate. The flavors really change for the better week to week.

Thanks for the quick answers. I'll factor in the .002 for my numbers.
Ryno - 6 weeks huh? Well, I guess its good to have goals.
I think I'll just try to have some left by then.
Thanks all
jason

Back